Expand my Community achievements bar.

Constrained task with a predecessor - help needed

Level 2
If I have the following scenario, is there anyway to have it flag an error? Task 1 is currently planned to complete on 9/15 Task 2 has a must start no later than 9/17 and Task 1 is a predecessor IF Task 1 slips and now is planning to complete on 9/20 I would want Task 2 to show up with an error since it needs to start by 9/17 but can't since Task 1 won't complete until 9/20 Any suggestions?
3 Replies

Level 5
Melissa - I dont think there is an easy answer to this. It would be nice for WF to provide a flag for a constraint violation, in this case where your must start on is BEFORE the planned completion of the predecessor. However, there is one thing you may want to look at. That is the Task Progress Status. In the case you mentioned, it should show up as At Risk as long as the PROJECTED COMPLETION DATE of task one is after the planned start date of task 2. If task one finishes early, or is PROJECTED to finish early (by a commit date being set or by percent complete calculating the projected complete date) task 2 should show as On Time. See the attachment for an example of this.

Level 2
That worked!! Thank you!! Melissa On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 1:40 PM, Marty Gawry, PMP < globalforum@communitylists.workfront.com> wrote: > Melissa - I dont think there is an easy answer to this. It would be nice > for WF to provide a flag for a constraint violation, in this case where > your must start on is BEFORE the planned completion of the predecessor. > > However, there is one thing you may want to look at. That is the Task > Progress Status. In the case you mentioned, it should show up as At Risk > as long as the PROJECTED COMPLETION DATE of task one is after the planned > start date of task 2. If task one finishes early, or is PROJECTED to > finish early (by a commit date being set or by percent complete calculating > the projected complete date) task 2 should show as On Time. > > -----End Original Message----- > -- *Melissa Rentz* *Director - Program Management* Phone: (866) 984-9922 ext 350 Personal: 715-894-0027 mrentz@mountainleverage.com | www.mountainleverage.com [image: Mountain Leverage] http://www.mountainleverage.com CONFIDENTIAL, PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION The information contained in this email and any attachments is private and intended for the addressee(s) only. If you have received this transmission in error, you are not authorized to read, copy, disclose or disseminate it in any manner. If you have received it in error, please delete it and all copies (including backup copies) that have been made, and transmit a reply message informing the sender that it was misdirected.

Level 10
Hi - I was looking for a flag, a progress status or something - I never found it. I don’t think WorkFront raises error flags when there is a discrepancy between a forced date and a predecessor relationship. I found that if you force a date (must start, must finish, fixed dates), the predecessor relationship is ignored. That means the software doesn’t recognize a discrepancy between the two drivers, they just ignore it. Time for a product feature request… Eric