Expand my Community achievements bar.

Conditional Formatting IF Statements Possible?

Level 2
Background info, we use the Issue object to do status reporting. We just have a special type of issue with a custom form attached with the fields for status reporting. One of the fields is "Current Project Status" with options for green, yellow red, and another field is "Prior Project Status" with the same options. I have a report that shows all open projects and one of the columns is the Current Project Status field which I show green, yellow or red background based on what it is set to. I figured out how I could show an asterisk in the field if the Current Project Status is different than the Prior Project Status using the text mode and logic like below: case.0.comparison.icon=false case.0.comparison.leftmethod=DE:Current Project Status case.0.comparison.lefttext=DE:Current Project Status case.0.comparison.operator=cinotcontains case.0.comparison.operatortype=string case.0.comparison.rightmethod=DE:Prior Project Status case.0.comparison.righttext=DE:Prior Project Status case.0.comparison.truetext=* What I would really like to do is show an up or down arrow to indicate whether or not the project status has improved over the last period. Is there anyway to write code such as the below: IF "Current Project Status" = Green AND "Prior Project Status" = "Yellow" OR "Red" SHOW "ÀÑ" IF "Current Project Status" = "Yellow" AND "Prior Project Status" = "Red" SHOW "ÀÑ" IF "Current Project Status" = "Yellow" AND "Prior Project Status" = "Green" SHOW "ÀÖ" IF "Current Project Status" = "Red" AND "Prior Project Status" = "Green" OR "Yellow" SHOW "ÀÖ" IF ELSE SHOW "-" Thanks!
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Level 10
Hi Justin, One approach could be as follows: Use a dropdown type for the Project Status and Previous Project Status custom fields Set them to be a Number field, and choose to "show values" for each of the options (e.g. Green=2, Yellow=1, Red=0) Do a greater than / less than / equal to comparison for the custom formatting. i.e. If Current Status greater than Previous Status then "^", etc. Out of interest though, why are you using Issues with custom fields to report on the project status? Regards, David

Level 2
Thanks David, I didn't realize you could have a numerical value behind the scenes and display a text value to the user. I think this option might work for us. I was doing some testing though and it looks like I'll have to create new fields, copy over all the existing data from our current status reports then delete the old fields. I was getting errors when I tried to convert the existing fields because it doesn't know to convert "Green" to "1" etc. As for your question on why we use Issues with custom forms to report on Status. Prior to moving into Workfront we did paper status reports and just had a Word doc template. We have health metrics (green, yellow, red) on Overall, Resources, Scope, Timeline, and Budget. Our executives were interested in a dashboard that showed all of the projects and all of the health metrics in one place so we had someone every reporting period re-enter all the metrics from the various status reports into one excel sheet that we sent them. We wanted to eliminate that manual work when we went to Workfront. So now we have one "Project Dashboard" that all of the status reports roll up to (example screenshot attached). We keep the current status report (issue) open and close the prior ones and the report pulls in all the open issues where name contains "Status." We considered having a custom form at the project level as well where we update status every reporting period but we really wanted to have history in case someone wanted to go back and view older status reports, thus why we used the issue object. Thanks Again!

Level 10
Very nice, Justin. Your approach of using an Issue to track the history of the Project Status values is quite similar to this other thread I was involved in, so I thought I'd draw it to your attention, in case you're interested. Regards, Doug