Expand my Community achievements bar.

Combining Project Information Results from Multiple Project Templates into One Result

Level 7
I need to do some fiscal year reporting and have a reporting dilemma that I am trying to resolve. I need to provide a Project Report listing out all of the tactics that we completed for the fiscal year (Tactics = Emails, Blogs, Videos, Infographics, etc.) with the total number of actual project hours spent on each tactic, sortable by product line and market. Anyway, I can configure 90% of the Project Report OK, but here is where I am having some trouble. We have Templates for each of our Project types (as mentioned, Emails, Blogs, Videos, Infographics, and so on). I am filtering the Project Report for these 'Templates' to get my tactics listing; however, for some of our tactics, we have multiple Templates, and I am trying to get the report to give me combined results for each tactic 'category'. For example, for "Video", we have the following Templates: Video Template Video Update Template Video Template - Localized Long Version Video Template - Localized Short Version All of our Video Projects use one of these 4 Templates. What I want the report to be able to do is combine these 4 into 1, called "Video" and have the report indicate the total number of project hours for tactic category of "Video". Keeping the math simple, say I have the following: Projects using the Video Template = Combined 10 Actual Project Hours Projects using the Video Update Template = Combined 10 Actual Project Hours Projects using the Video Template - Localized Long Version = Combined 10 Actual Project Hours Projects using the Video Template - Localized Short Version = Combined 10 Actual Project Hours Here is what I am hoping the report will be able to indicate/show: Videos = 40 Actual Project Hours (Not all of our Templates are like this. For example, we only have 1 Infographic Template, so I don't need to do any combining for that. But, like Video, I have a number of Templates for some of our other tactics.) I am hoping the above makes sense! Any help from the Reporting gurus would be most appreciated. Thanks, Terry Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Level 10
What if you update the custom forms on the templates (for future projects) and current projects to include a custom form field of "Project Type". You may even want to have task-level custom fields to suggest "Tactic Type". You can bulk edit your existing records to accurately "associate" hours with these fields. Then you'll be able to use the "Hour -> Project Type" or "Hour -> Task -> Tactic Type" in reports.

Level 8
And if you don't want to manually populate it, it sounds like it could be a calculated field. Barry Buchanan Work Management Australia

Level 7
Thanks to you both for your suggestions. Definitely food for thought. Right now, in order to get the report done, I have to do a combination of Workfront report and then inputting data into Excel to get what I need. For the future, I am going to see which suggestion will work for best for us and incorporate it, so that I don't have to do the extra Excel step. Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services