Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!

column rule on task ASSIGNMENTS field

Level 1
i enjoy using column rules to color code tasks that are assigned to me. however i can not make the column rules work for the assignments column. if there is more than one person assigned to a task the column rule will not work. i believe the issue is the "assignments" field is not an option in the drop down. is there a was to access this field for assigning a column rule with text mode? Amy Young
8 Replies

Level 10
Hi Amy, I suggest you create an Assignments report (vs a Task Report; optionally filtering to only those whose Task ID is not blank). Since each row will then pertain to one assignee, you can then set a specific color rule for each row; or even -- another path -- include a column for each person's avatar image. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 1
thanks for the suggestion but that's not very useful for my needs. i don't want to run a report, i want to see it with the project. currently i can use column rules to color code rows within a project. it works for task name, etc...and it works as i expect, however with multiple assignments it only recognizes one person from the "assignments" list. Amy Young

Level 10
Hi - I believe you are not able to do so conditional formatting on "collection" fields (fields that bring back data from a many-to-one relationship). It is definitely annoying. For our hot sheets, we actually had Doug here at AtApp create it for us so that we could highlight tasks that are overdue in a Project Report (as well as sort them which is something else you don't have control over in a collection field). Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 1
interesting. is there a way to grab the data before it is in the "collection"field and base the condition on that source field? the idea is for users to be able to easily see which of the 100+ tasks on a single project are assigned to them in the whole project process...and have their tasks highlighted. the attached sorta shows the color codes that are working. Amy Young

Level 10
That is a cool idea! Let's them know visually where they are in the process. Do you use task custom forms? Maybe there is a way to get the assignment names in a calculated custom field and then you can do the condition on that fields using Contains. Let me think about this a little because I might steal the idea from you as well. ;) Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 10
Excellent point Anthony; thanks! Amy, as Anthony mentioned, I invite you to review our "https://store.atappstore.com/product/hot-sheet/" Hotsheet solution, which efficiently distills your upcoming work down to those tasks planned to finish (or overdue) within the next 3, 4, or 5 business days across all projects, by every program within an entire portfolio. And for both of you... I did retry the coloring-based-on-a-collection idea again this morning, too, and am pleased to offer this gem to highlight a column in a list if the last name of the currently logged in user is among ANY of the assignees (e.g. vs just the "primary" assignee on a Task): styledef.case.0.comparison.icon=false styledef.case.0.comparison.leftmethod=assignmentsListString styledef.case.0.comparison.lefttext=assignmentsListString styledef.case.0.comparison.operator=cicontains styledef.case.0.comparison.operatortype=string styledef.case.0.comparison.righttext=$$USER.name styledef.case.0.comparison.trueproperty.0.name=bgcolor styledef.case.0.comparison.trueproperty.0.value= ff0000 styledef.case.0.comparison.truetext= To use it in any Task view, simply edit any column (e.g. Assignments), switch to text mode, and copy/paste it in to the bottom of what's already there. The ff0000 means "red", which you can easily replace with any "https://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_picker.asp" hex color you prefer. And for you textmode nerds... - I used the API Explorer to discover the (built in but LAZY_READ) assignmentsListString - I used the Wildcard Filter Variables to remind myself of the $$USER options (TIP: this one is #WorthBookmarking , and @Narayan Raum I suggest you add this as a WFPro/WARP resource, too) - I tried at first to use CONTAINS $$USER.name (which would have been my preference, since it's more granular)...but at first, it didn't work - I settled instead on CONTAINS $$.USER.lastName (meh; close enough in most cases)...and it worked enough for me to write this up - I then retried CONTAINS $$USER.name again (suspecting a glitch)...and it worked as above and below, so is what I would recommend Regards, Doug P.S. For those like Jen (who pinged me privately) are interested in the Avatar idea, I invite you to add a column to your view to show the built in Assigned To > Photo in order to see the (primary) Assignee's avatar on each row, which is also pretty slick Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 10
This is great, Doug! :) Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 1
THANK YOU! this is amazing and exactly what i need