Expand my Community achievements bar.

Change existing field type

Level 3

Hi! If I created a single line text or paragraph text field, is it possible to turn it into a text field with formatting, without losing any information already in the field? Thanks!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Reply

Level 10

Hi Kelly,

Workfront only allows the data type of a parameter to be changed when it has no data entered anywhere (e.g. when you Catch Yourself, while creating a new form, having forgotten to switch the default from Text to Number, etc.). Since a plain text field is a different data type than a text field with formatting, the same applies.

We've considered adding text field with formatting to our Excel Updater solution (e.g. export plain to excel, then import into Workfront, updating into with formatting), but the text field with formatting is also Quite Different in how and where it is stored in the Workfront database, so that idea is parked for now.

So...(big sigh)...I'd suggest you drop the new field next to the old field in a view, and copy/paste left to right. Awesome.

Regards,

Doug