Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Can we get the option of right clicking on a document to create a link to that doc? Support tells me this was taken away 10 days ago. Why was that done?

Level 2

While we use Proofing for most documents, there are times when we use just the document, for example to send to legal for review and signature. Taking away this Copy Link makes my job difficult. When can we expect it back? Thank you Ellen

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Way old post and a function that has been returned to my instance. WE can close this out. thanks Ellen

View solution in original post

24 Replies

Level 6

Hi Ellen,

Can you please provide more info of what copy link are you referring to?

Level 2

Sure Andrzej, and thank you for your response.

Working within a WF Project under the documents section of either the task or the project itself (I am working in the New Experience) I use to be able to right click on an uploaded document and you'd get the option of copying a link to the document. That option is no longer available: Sometimes we don't create a proof, especially if I am just sending to legal and they need to sign or edit and send back to client. Regardless I'd like the option to share a link to the document because that is helpful in keeping the project going. Option use to be there now it's not. Thanks for your help. Ellen

See screen shot0690z000008KJd3AAG.png

Community Advisor

I'm not sure how Ellen uses the link to a document, but I also had to jump through a bunch of hoops last week to grab a link that would open a document.

I have a few documents, within Workfront, that I link to from a Custom Form - I want requesters using that custom form to be able to click the link and download/open the document. Having that document within Workfront and shared with anyone who had access to submit through that request queue, seems the most logical place to house that document, rather than hosting it somewhere else. I can't remember what I eventually did to get the link that that would download the document but it seemed drastically harder than it used to be.

Level 10

Is this an issue in "New" experience or "Classic"?

Level 2

Hello Narayan: I work in the New Experience: see reply above to Andrzej for screenshot that clarifies my request a bit better. Ellen

Level 6

We had to change that behaviour described by Ellen due to some technical issues we've had. As described there are other ways of sharing like share the document or proof. Happy to jump on a call to discuss more details and maybe try to find alternative solution

Level 2

Thank you Andrzej; would love to jump on a call as now I cannot share a proof link as well, seems like there is a lot being moved around. LMK a good number to call

Thanks Ellen

Level 10

Thanks... I do not use New Experience so I'm unable to assist.

Level 7

I would like to hear about the "other ways" you mention @Exp - Andrzej Muca‚ as well.

Level 2

I have not heard back from @Exp - Andrzej Muca‚ on this and today I spent a good 15 minutes looking for another way to copy the link to the document. It reminded me that last month all I had to do was right click on get a link to the document. Now in addition not being able to do this, WF has a bug that makes the sharing of proof link an additional three(3) steps to get the proof link.

I have tried copying from the URL but that brings me back to the Documents en total not the actual one I want linked to. This is so frustrating.

Level 6

Here is my availability. https://calendly.com/andrzejmuca/proofing-research. Please schedule a slot that works for you. If you cannot find anything let me know

Level 2

I found that if you right-click on the document's "Open" button and copy that link, it works.

Community Advisor

Toneia, what type of file are you able to use the "Open" button to get the link from?

I don't get the "Copy Link" option when I right click on "Open," either for PDFs for JPGs. And for an Excel file, I don't have an "Open" button at all. It's the Excel file that I need to link to.

Level 2

Well shoot, I'm not seeing it now either! You could click on Open and copy the URL (should have "preview" in it. If yours acts the same as mine, the URL will change to a much longer one, so you have to copy/paste quickly before that happens. The longer URL that populates might work for linking, but it doesn't work if you want the document embedded in a dashboard for example (that's what I discovered) - I'm not sure since everywhere I have links to documents I use that "preview" URL that I grabbed from the Open button (back when you could do that, apparently).

Level 2

Thank you @Toneia Lane‚ That does indeed work, although I have to click on the doc image not the open button if it say a word doc, but thank you indeed, this a workable workaround! I appreciate the help. Ellen

Level 2

Oh yes, I believe only PDFs have that open button, other doc formats only have "download". You're welcome! Glad I could help.

Level 10

Glad I saw this thread. I had developed a process involving the right-click to get the URL and was embarassed during a presentation when it didn't work. Nothing like having the rug pulled out from under you and then thinking you've gone mad and swore it worked a couple days ago!

Shame, this was handy for providing the URL to a proof routing from one task inside of another task. Now we have to go the long way around to get that URL.

Level 6

Thank you all for the feedback and all use cases you provided. My team has found alternative solution for the issue I mentioned above. We'll bring back the functionality soon. I will provide more accurate date once the solution is ready for the patch.

Level 2

I see that this is an old post, but has there been any clarity on this issue? I'd like to share documents (not proofs) with external users. How do I do this?

Correct answer by
Level 2

Way old post and a function that has been returned to my instance. WE can close this out. thanks Ellen