Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Can I filter a timesheet report by an Hour Type?

Level 10
For various reasons I want to use a timesheet report not an hours report, but with a timesheet can report can I: a) filter by a specific Hour Type b) have the Total Hours only show as per the filtered Hour Type (can be a custom field if needs be) Thanks! Jamie Hill JLL EMEA
6 Replies

Level 10
Hi Jamie, I'm not aware of any native filtering or subtotalling in Timesheets. You can restrict a user to only be allowed to enter a single hour type, which would in turn effectively both filter and subtotal (of "one") the timesheet...but I suspect that if you elaborate on your Other Reasons that this might not meet your needs. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
Hi Doug, We may have made a mountain out of a molehill with our reporting needs here.. but basically we're going to be soon sending our timesheet data for contractors to an external payroll supplier. These contractors are paid on a daily rate so we thought we'd use the new 'Log Time in Days' feature of Workfront and make sure no-one books more than 1.0 per day. But then we'd always said to people previously that they should always book - in hours - the genuine time they've worked, so that would cause a change in our utilization data for a reasonable portion of our users. Then we thought: okay, let's keep it as hours, but tell the contractors to log their first 8 hours per day as Billable, and then anything above that as Non-billable. This makes it easy for the payroll supplier (they just get the time logged against Billable), and keeps the portfolio managers happy as we keep letting everyone book their genuine hours worked. The reason I wanted a Timesheet report specifically is that these let you have a Status column that can be in-line edited. We're not getting much buy-in from some timesheet approvers on actually checking for the things above (i.e. anything above 8 hours is Non-billable), so I was hoping to be able to add a column to the Timesheet report that has "Total Billable" and highlight this if it's over 40 hours for that timesheet - and if all okay, they can in-line approve. (My worry is that people approving from My Work/Home will just see Total Hours and approve off that, which isn't really what we're asking them to approve) Sorry for the ramble! Jamie Hill JLL EMEA

Level 3
Just firing up my thinking chair. You stated that you need a report to show hours encountered to send to a payroll vendor to pay people regardless of hours worked if greater than zero. A hours-based matrix report could work for this. The hours encountered would be in the cells of the matrix. They are either summed or just counted. The dates the hours were encountered would be across the top. The person who entered the hours would be on the left. The text set on the matrix cell would default to blank when no hours entered in the date and person intersect in the matrix The text to show could be set to "Pay Me" for when any hours (summed or counted records) on the date and person intersect are reported. There would be hours (summed or counted record) totals on the right and the bottom of the matrix, but those could be ignored. The filters and/or prompts could be set to home group, home team, company, date range, project(s), program(s), portfolio(s), etc. I prefer to use prompts on this kind of report to make it multiple use for anyone and everyone at the same time. Image of the result is shown below. Remember, this is an hours report instead of timesheet report. Glad to help as you may need. Just message me. Doug Williams - NETSource Consulting NETSource Consulting Helping others simplify the complexities of their Workfront installations and usage.

Level 7
Hey Jamie, You can use an hours report, and add a column for Hour: Note, this will show up as a note on the hour itself, which will show as a comment on the timesheet, and can be inline edited on a report no problem. I'm not aware of a way to sum it, but I would think in theory, you should be able to edit the column, add in the appropriate aggregator lines of text, and manually force it to summarize IF you use just numbers, but that's again.. just my theory, I haven't delved into testing this. Otherwise, looking at our API explorer, hour type is too far away in our database to reach.

Level 10
Thanks for your input all! As a bit of a side question.. in a timesheet report, can I sum up the total hours for a particular Hour Type? I know there's the system "Total Hours" field so it must be possible but I'm not sure of the Text Mode for it :) Jamie Hill JLL EMEA

Level 7
Hey Jamie, So digging into this further, you might actually be able to do it. Looking at the Timesheet object in the API explorer, the collections tab shows the Hours object. This means you can run some collections calls for hours... as a filter, or as a view... Here's a help article that shows how to use collections in text mode: https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000586214-Referencing-Collections-in-a-Report hour -> hour type -> name, might be too far.