Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Campaign "How To's"

Level 1
I need help and hoping someone here can provide some insight. I work for a healthcare system and we will have a "Campaign" that has multiple collateral pieces - For Example, let's say that the campaign is called Bariatrics Campaign and as part of that campaign, the client is requesting 3 pieces of collateral - 1 flyer, 1 postcard and 1 banner. Can someone direct me to a guide of sorts that shows me how to set that up? I have looked here and under training but can't seem to find anything. Thank you! Danielle Becker BSMH
10 Replies

Level 10
hi Danielle, there really isn't a single way to do it, and a lot of it is going to depend on how your workflows are set up. Some options: 1) create the campaign as a project, and each collateral as a set of tasks grouped by a parent task 2) create the campaign as a program and each collateral as a project 3) create the campaign as a project and each collateral as an issue assigned to separate PMs -- the PMs would then convert the issue to a separate project which is linked to the originating issue. Creating projects, tasks, programs and issues are all covered under Ascent's PM fundamentals course at ascent.workfront.com -skye

Level 7
For us, we use the Option 2 structure that Skye outlined above. We use "Programs" in Workfront as our Campaigns. For example, if we have a product launch, we may have several marketing items that need to be created that are tied to that product launch (e.g., emails, blog post, brochure, powerpoint, etc.). In this use case, we create a Program called "ABC Product Launch", and each deliverable is a separate project (using pre-defined templates) and is then associated to and rolled up to the overall program. So, the hierarchy looks something like this: Program: ABC Product Launch Project: ABC Email #1 Project: ABC Blog Post Project: ABC E-Brochure Project: ABC Email #2 Project: ABC PowerPoint Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 3
Hi Danielle, I agree with Skye's recommendation. As for us here at SEI, we are using the #2 method. Our different business units are set up as Portfolios. We open Programs for campaigns or a group of projects that make logical sense. Most often, the project is the deliverable, but we do groups tasks together sometimes for multiple deliverables in one project. We've had issues with that at times if one deliverable lingers after the others are complete. All of our project templates are set up for one deliverable and we add tasks for multiples. If you need more info, just let me know. We all started this process somewhere and landed where we are after trials, successes and failures! Mark Hahn SEI Investments Company

Level 3
Danielle, I'm in the process of revamping our portfolio-use best practices, and we'll be moving to a version similar to #2. Our Portfolio will be set up annually by stakeholder (business unit or high-volume subgroup), then portfolios for campaigns, major initiatives or, where appropriate by collateral type. So Portfolio: Business Unit A 2019 then Program: Campaign 1, Campaign 2. Similar to other suggestions but with the year tweak on the portfolio. We do this because we do update materials YOY and repeat certain campaigns. This will make it easier to search and report. This will also keep the portfolios from becoming too large. Hope this helps. Michelle Yard Manager, Marketing Operations Insperity Houston, Texas

Level 2
We use option #2. However, our problem is the budget- You cannot put in a budget at the program level, only at the Portfolio and project level. How do other companies get around that? Madeleine Bronstone Sr. Project Manager Bank of the West San Francisco, CA 94104 925-984-8178

Community Advisor
We use a version of #3, each issue is generally assigned to the same PM, since each PM may have several campaigns and should be aware of all tactics within their campaigns. But we also include a custom field on each project where a campaign number can be filled in. Then our projects have a standard naming convention that begins with Year-Campaign(if applicable)-Project . So you can identify each campaign tactic at a glance or pull a report using the custom field of all tactics in that campaign.

Level 2
we use Option #1 and it serves our purposes well. we use only one Portfolio (Central Marketing), and all the programs are bucketed into the different types of projects which roughly correspond to our client base (ex. Credit Card program, Human Resources, Membership). they way we can run a report and see where our budget/time goes. as Skye says, the tasks within the campaign project are then nested into parent tasks for each piece, roughly like this: Mailer : Creative concept Production Proofing Send to printer Coupon vouchers : Creative concept Production Proofing Send to printer etc. hope this helps. Tracy Brunet Costco Wholesale Corporation

Level 5
We did the kickstart import of our existing data and had to use (I presume) the External Reference ID field for our existing job numbers. Unfortunately, it seems that we cannot use the search bar (including Advanced option) to locate our deliverables by this piece of data. You mentioned using a custom field for yours (which we have but didn't/couldn't import to it) and I'm wondering if the search bar works with the custom field. Tammie Bouchard National Safety Council

Level 5
This is very helpful food for thought, thank you! Tammie Bouchard National Safety Council

Level 5
Hi Mark - followup question for you re: "All of our project templates are set up for one deliverable and we add tasks for multiples." Historically we have one template per job type which then holds our task steps (to-dos), cycle time (total of duration) and allocation (hrs) and are leaning to continuing that way within Workfront. Historically we've had one big issue with this approach and that is when there are multiple related items that are all part of the same job/project, campaign, department, and timeline. Prefer not to attach a schedule with tasks and assignments to each item but each item needs to be tracked, reported on and given unique job #. A few examples: Direct mail package containing multiple pieces in an envelope -- all part of the same job, campaign, department, and timeline. Collateral kit with multiple items -- all part of the same job, campaign, department, and timeline. Segmented mailings or emails -- all part of the same job, campaign, department, and timeline. Ads (print or digital) of varying sizes -- all part of the same job, campaign, department, and timeline. Wondering how your set up handles these situations. Unsure if I should read your quoted statement as these extra items get added to a primary deliverable/job/project entry's task template. If not, wondering how your department handles these situations. Also with the way Workfront handles tasks (click work on, click done for each) we are wondering if we should consider setting up the deliverables/jobs/project another way entirely. Tammie Bouchard National Safety Council