Expand my Community achievements bar.

Calculating Slack or Float

Level 3
I have a complicated project with at least 3 chains of activities that are within days of being on the critical path. They are hard to identify unless I see the critical path change based on a project update. The slack date isn't helping me and seems to be useless. Does anyone have a way to calculate the number of days of slack or float for each task? Therese
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 10
Hi Therese, Last month I investigated how Slack Dates behave and shared my learnings in "https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=e151a887-5880-416d-894e-6e5ab4517b37&CommunityKey=ccf3381b-a473-4ef2-9f81-4dd3244cf522&tab=digestviewer#bme151a887-5880-416d-894e-6e5ab4517b37%23bm8">this thread . Leveraging that information, you could: create a calculated numeric custom parameter called Slack Days add Slack Days to a Task custom form, with a formula of DATEDIFF(Slack Date, Projected Date) add that custom form to the Tasks of interest (or even all Tasks, to be safe) confirm that the calculation works (eg zero on critical path Tasks, non zero on non-critical path Tasks), and that direction (positive vs negative; reverse them in the datediff) sum up the Slack Days on a Task report, and see what it could do to help I'm not recommending this, mind you: just spitballin' as usual. But if you give it a go, let me know how it goes. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 4
Hi Therese, Not sure if this will help but have you tried using following in your predecessor tasks? Finish-Start (fs) The predecessor task must finish before the dependent task can start. This is the default dependency type, used when no other dependency type is specified. Finish-Finish (ff) The predecessor task must finish before the dependent task can finish Start-Start (ss) The predecessor task must start before the dependent task can start. Start-Finish (sf) The predecessor task must start before the dependent task can finish. Scheduled-Start (sd) This schedules a task as Finish-Start, but actual enforcement type is a Finish-Finish. When you use this, the dependent task is scheduled to start after the predecessor task is completed. However, the enforcement makes it so the dependent task can start anytime, but can't finish until the predecessor task is finished. Also, you want to make sure you are using the correct constraint Hope this helps! Elliot Elliot Leson Synchrony Creative

Level 3
I do have correct links between all my tasks and I have been reviewing the task constraints. Most are As Soon as Possible. It seems that as soon as someone takes on the work, the task constraint changes to Must Start On. However, without the float calculation, the actual days before a task affects the critical path cannot be seen. Therese

Level 3
Curious if you were able to find a solution for this? I'm very interested in the same... Jodi Biscevic GM Financial - International Operations