Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Calculating On Hold Times

Level 4
Hello WF Community...Greeting from Hong Kong! Is there a way within WF to calculate the total time a project has been put on hold? I am exploring ways to track and monitor how many times a project gets put on hold or at least at minimum the total number of hours a project was put on hold. Thanks! Nick Vivanco
8 Replies

Level 3
I would be very interested in this as well. I read that you can create a calculated field that will timestamp when an issue, etc. is set to a specific status (such as on hold), and you can calculate the time from there. That only captures one entry, however, so it wouldn't help if the item is placed on hold multiple times. @Emily Pandzik Jennifer Allen Staples, Inc.

Level 7
I don't have any advice, but this would be outstanding. We have users manually calculating it today, which is very error prone. Mike Clark Healthgrades

Level 10
Could you share a link to the article or page you have read it please? :) Dagmara Garwell BAKKAVOR LTD

Level 10
Hi Mike, Jennifer, and Nick, This sounds similar to our Service Level Agreement (SLA) Package, which installs into your Workfront environment, defines a Custom Form and related Views for Workfront Issues that captures when that Issue moved between each Issue Status, and how long it remained in each Issue Status. I suspect we could leverage that Issue concept and move it to the Project Level (and in fact, was recently asked to consider likewise at the Task Level). If you'd be interested in pursuing the Project Level option, please email me at doug.denhoed@atappstore.com. Regards, Doug

Level 10
I am not an text mode API coder, nor a calculated field guru. However, this can be done, using one of those methods. I have a calculated field (created for me during our implementation phase), where each time our "submit date" is changed - that date is captured. Submit date is a calculated field as well. I'm sure Project Status can be captured along with the given date and time stamp, I personally can not give you the code to do it. Maybe, another community member, can code it up for you. That has happened for me in the past, other members with deep experience, just give us the code needed or the calculated field needed to do what we need - then we just cut and paste. Good luck. Benetta Perry APS

Level 8
Melinda Layten has documented an automated timestamp field on status change in this thread: View this on Workfront > Note that you need to add the custom calculated field without a formula, apply (or save) so the field name is available and then add the formula that self-references. That will capture the date/time of one status change (using on-hold instead of anything but in progress as the current formula does). So we can tweak this approach to capture the first time a project is put on hold AND the first time it is taken off hold (Remember to add the fields without formula and save the form before going back to add the formula) Name Formula First OnHold IF(Status='ONH',IF(ISBLANK(First OnHold),$$NOW,First OnHold),First OnHold) First OffHold IF(ISBLANK(First OffHold),IF(Status!='ONH',IF(ISBLANK(First OnHold),"",IF(ISBLANK(First OffHold),$$NOW,First OffHold),First OffHold)),First OffHold) FirstHoldDiff IF(ISBLANK(First OnHold),0,IF(ISBLANK(First OffHold),DATEDIFF($$NOW,First OnHold),DATEDIFF(First OffHold,First OnHold))) Name Formula First OnHold IF(Status='ONH',IF(ISBLANK(First OnHold),$$NOW,First OnHold),First OnHold) First OffHold IF(ISBLANK(First OffHold),IF(Status!='ONH',IF(ISBLANK(First OnHold),"",IF(ISBLANK(First OffHold),$$NOW,First OffHold),First OffHold)),First OffHold) FirstHoldDiff IF(ISBLANK(First OnHold),0,IF(ISBLANK(First OffHold),DATEDIFF($$NOW,First OnHold),DATEDIFF(First OffHold,First OnHold))) Which is fine for the first time a project is put on hold. What about after that? We just continue the logic, but referencing if the first Offhold is blank or not - if it's blank, don't do anything. If it's not blank, it's the second fields turn to shine: Name Formula Second OnHold IF(ISBLANK(First OffHold),"",IF(Status='ONH',IF(ISBLANK(Second OnHold),$$NOW,Second OnHold),Second OnHold)) Second OffHold IF(ISBLANK(First OffHold),Second OffHold,IF(ISBLANK(Second OffHold),IF(Status!='ONH',IF(ISBLANK(Second OnHold),"",IF(ISBLANK(Second OffHold),$$NOW,Second OffHold),Second OffHold)),Second OffHold)) SecondHoldDiff IF(ISBLANK(Second OnHold),0,IF(ISBLANK(Second OffHold),DATEDIFF($$NOW,Second OnHold),DATEDIFF(Second OffHold,First OnHold))) We can continue this as many times as you want to track - Post the formula into Word or Notepad, replace 'Second' with 'Third' and 'First' with 'Second' (need to do it in descending order, or you'll have too many named 'Second'). Once you've added as many as you want, you can sum all the diffs at the end to get total time on hold: Total OnHold Days SUM(FirstHoldDiff,SecondHoldDiff) While the post looks long, the form itself isn't too complex: And by the way, if you decide on six (for example), if you check to see when the Sixth On Hold is populated, you can add seven, eight and nine to the form, update the total formula and keep going! Barry Buchanan Work Management Australia

Level 10
Very nice, Barry and Melinda. Regards, Doug

Level 4
Thank you Barry and everyone else that responded. I will try your workaround (Barry) and in the mean time, I will also submit this as a future enhancement request. If anyone is interested please go to the below link to vote. Thanks! "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115000850474-Calculating-on-hold-time-within-a-project" Link to vote (On Hold Time) PS I also added another request for WF. Similar to how WF calculates the age of an issue (i.e. how many days it has been open), I would like the same functionality at the project level. This will allow project teams to see how long a project has been open for at a quick glance. "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115000850494-Calculating-Age-of-a-Project" Link to vote (Project Age) Nick Vivanco