Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Calculated Fields Character Limits

Level 3

Hello,

Is there a limit of character or lines you can put in Calculated Field syntax? I've build quite simple but extensive IF statement but am unable to save it due to what seem to be the amount of characters. 

Kind regards

Lukasz

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @LukaszMa,

Yes, most large text fields (including custom parameter calculations) have a maximum of either 2000 characters or at 4000 characters, which you can confirm by pasting a string of text near those (database controlled) limits to see what saves, and what fails.

As a workaround, if you can shorten your syntax to fit, I’d recommend that first; otherwise, you may have to resort to chaining your logic by layering it across two or more calculations (which is harder to maintain, and might lead to stale data).

Regards,

Doug

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @LukaszMa,

Yes, most large text fields (including custom parameter calculations) have a maximum of either 2000 characters or at 4000 characters, which you can confirm by pasting a string of text near those (database controlled) limits to see what saves, and what fails.

As a workaround, if you can shorten your syntax to fit, I’d recommend that first; otherwise, you may have to resort to chaining your logic by layering it across two or more calculations (which is harder to maintain, and might lead to stale data).

Regards,

Doug