Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Burndown Estimated Completion Dates

Level 7

I have talked to many of the experts and consultants on this but no one can seem to give me a straight answer on how the estimated completion date is calculated on a burndown chart. The help article says it is based on the "rate of points completed". I am not entirely sure what they mean by "rate". I have also been told it takes into account if points were added throughout an iteration and resource allocations as well. What I am looking for is the exact formula or algorithm it uses to justify the completion date. This is a bit hard to show in text, but here is what I am seeing. I'll try to keep it simple.

iteration duration = 10 days

iteration capacity = 10 pts with 100% focus

iteration estimated points = 10

Lets' say we complete 1 point a day for 5 days. That would mean we have 5 days left and we are completing 1 point per day. To me, the estimated completion date should be the 10th day because we are on pace to finish by then. Instead, the est comp date will show +3 working days. Can anyone explain why we would be behind 3 days if we are completing points at a rate consistent with the duration and estimated points for that iteration?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

5 Replies

Level 10

I'm curious about this too. We do two week sprints and at the beginning, it is always like +23 days or +15 days. To be honest, it doesn't seem very accurate until we get to the last three days of sprint.

Level 7

Right!?! Well, if you cannot figure it out, there is no answer. 😉

Employee

Hey Brandon,

I see that you said you've chatted with consultants about this already, so I went ahead and passed this detail on to our documentation team to see if they can't help clarify some of the articles. If you wouldn't mind sharing which articles you're using that would be helpful to make sure we clarify the right ones.

Thanks for posting your question.

Kyna

Employee

Perfect! Thank you for digging those up. I've passed those links along. Have a fantastic day!