Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!

Best Practices for Capacity and Resource Planning?

Level 3
Hello Everyone, We are around 8 months into our deployment of Workfront and it's been going very well so far. However we are now facing the challenge of looking into how to properly use the Capacity Planning and Resource Planning sections of the tool. Can anyone here share their best practices for this? Also how do you manage your demand vs capacity? is there a good way to do this within Workfront without exporting the data. One idea that I would like to get boosted in votes is here as well: https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115001890174-Capacity-vs-Demand-Chart That is what we are trying to get to within workfront. Basically we want to see if we add a project to our stack, what happens to our capacity and can we deliver it, and if not what has to drop off to be able to deliver it? Any thoughts and help would be appreciated. Thanks Kent Packman Calor Gas Limited
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 10
Good topic, and great feature request (voted already). We haven't been able to do any capacity/demand reporting in Workfront because the legacy tools didn't give us enough granularity on roles/skillsets. Now that roles can be split by % they are on the right track. Skillsets are also being looked into feature-wise and this would be excellent if implemented. I've actually been testing PowerBI for resource reporting and so far, so good though I haven't yet built any visualisations regarding capacity and demand. To-date, capacity and demand have been very manually worked out by users in Excel and we definitely need Workfront to take this on as part of their re-design of the resource management tools. Regards, David Cornwell

Level 4
We have also started to look at this and would be interested to hear feedback from others. Thank you. Nick Vivanco

Level 4
I have also voted on the idea! Nick Vivanco

Level 4
I've used the new resource planning and if you do very basic steps, like budget = plan it will give you the variance that you need to then investigate. And I've been able to utilize switching from project to person views to dive into where I'm having constraints. But I still need to export if I want to do something sophisticated (like a 3 year view, which is our planning horizon). I've spoken to product management about it and they are definitely working on improvements. They are also looking to get feedback from people using it in workfront so the more you use it the more likely they are to reach out to you for feedback. Elizabeth Ross J Jill