Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Archiving Project Work Around (2-part Question)

Level 8

Our users have a really fun habit of almost never marking their tasks as complete or logging their time within a month of when they actually work on the project. We also don't let users change the status of their projects so that projects don't disappear from people's time sheets before they enter their time. This makes it difficult archive projects because A) We have to check to make sure that every person on the project has logged their time and B) We have to go through and mark every task as 100% complete before we can archive the project.

Not only is is extremely time consuming for us to mark every single project complete, but incomplete projects mean we can't trust our reports and they clutter people's work spaces.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experienced a similar issue?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Not sure if you've tried this, but I like to give my users the ability to control their own fate. All of our projects are set to auto complete once all the tasks are marked complete. So when someone says "hey this is done why is it still open?" the project managers can say "because Billy didn't mark his task complete." And then that person starts to hold Billy accountable and Billy is more likely to close tasks on time in the future.

I've also turned on the ability to log time to a completed project/task so this way even if all projects are closed making for cleaner environment the user still has the ability to log time in their own rhythm. Yes this means that you may have a completed project with 0 hours logged. To combat that, I've created some polite shaming reports. One is available to all users and they can see their open timesheets for the last 6 weeks. Another is one that sends to managers every other week highlighting who has and has not logged time. These two things combined have helped to encourage users to log time consistently. We also share our executive reports with the teams, so they can see that we are sending hour totals to leadership and that if anything looks too quick then it's probably because someone didn't track hours.

We still have issues every now and then but overall it's MUCH BETTER than it was a few years ago. And the admins and project managers don't have to constantly spend time updating projects and reminding people.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Not sure if you've tried this, but I like to give my users the ability to control their own fate. All of our projects are set to auto complete once all the tasks are marked complete. So when someone says "hey this is done why is it still open?" the project managers can say "because Billy didn't mark his task complete." And then that person starts to hold Billy accountable and Billy is more likely to close tasks on time in the future.

I've also turned on the ability to log time to a completed project/task so this way even if all projects are closed making for cleaner environment the user still has the ability to log time in their own rhythm. Yes this means that you may have a completed project with 0 hours logged. To combat that, I've created some polite shaming reports. One is available to all users and they can see their open timesheets for the last 6 weeks. Another is one that sends to managers every other week highlighting who has and has not logged time. These two things combined have helped to encourage users to log time consistently. We also share our executive reports with the teams, so they can see that we are sending hour totals to leadership and that if anything looks too quick then it's probably because someone didn't track hours.

We still have issues every now and then but overall it's MUCH BETTER than it was a few years ago. And the admins and project managers don't have to constantly spend time updating projects and reminding people.

Level 8

This is all amazing and so helpful. Thank you so much!

Level 8

Where do you change the setting to allow users to log their time in complete projects?

Community Advisor

Under Setup > Timesheets & Hours > Preferences

0690z000008Z4NqAAK.png