Expand my Community achievements bar.

Any way to change the queue Topics from an item that was entered into the incorrect request queue?

Level 5
We are using request queues for more and more and find them great to get requests to the right people and into the correct "project" or holding queue. The one challenge we've had is when a user selects an incorrect queue topic. It is easy enough to move the issue and assign it to the correct person or team, and attach an approval route if needed. I cant find a way to change the Queue Topic that is attached to the request and the challenge we have is that we report metrics based on queue topic. Things like average time to close calculated as actual completion date - entry date [found out that Age doesnt stop when a request hits complete :-( ] When we have to change an item from one queue to another though, this can become invalid. I hate to call the requester and ask them to re-enter the request, and if I delete and re-create the item, they dont have the connection. Are others running into this problem? If so, how are you handling it?
13 Replies

Level 5
Shout out to our crack support team at Workfront. They found a solution. "Go to the request queue project > Issues tab > Customize a view to include the Queue Topic Name > You can now In-Line Edit the Queue Topic." Sounds simple, but I didnt go there as I was just trying Edit Issue or Edit from Issue details (where it displays but isnt editable). Case Solved!

Level 2
I was just going to share that! It's a little bit of a pain to HAVE to do it, but it works!

Level 10
This is great and not very obvious! Keep in mind that, if your user would have normally been presented with required form fields, this is going to bypass that requirement. The new responsible party will have to attach the custom form and ask the requestor to complete it.

Level 3
Hi Marty, I'm encountering the same issue. I'm needing to change the Parent Queue Topic Name, since currently a 'User' can only edit the Queue Topic. I've tried following your steps, but having an issue navigating to it. Could you please help on where to start. Thanks!

Level 2
That's great news and solves 1 of my 2 issues with a wrongly submitted request. I'm also trying to find a way to change the "Path" (Routing) that was automatically generated when the wrong Queue Topic was selected. Any chance you know how to do that? Please? :)

Level 10
Has anyone found a way to BULK EDIT Queue Topics? If so, please let me know how you did it. Thanks! Admin Kelly-Wehrmann SSFCU

Level 10
Maybe someone else has something, but I can't find a way to do that. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. Technical Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 10
Hi Kelly and Vic. Last time I tried, the Queue Topic was read only, even though the API. Regards, Doug

Level 10
Yeah I didn't look at the API. I tried the bulk edit and the fields don't show (of course). But I also tried to add the fields to a Project View, thinking you could at least have them all show up in a View and just go line to line to change them. Not a true bulk edit, but would be easier than opening each project. I wasn't able to get the fields to show. But I didn't try Text mode and trying to find the field names outside of what Workfront gives you. That might be an option. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. Technical Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 8
Instead of having issues "hard route" to a specific person we set up incoming reports to traffic the job requests. What this means for us is that job requests appear on the incoming reports based on the particulars of the order and instead of getting routed to a specific person they can be viewed by more than one non-specific project coordinator type roles. Incorrect information can be corrected and no rerouting is necessary as long as the issue hasn't been converted to a project. Richard Carlson Behr Process Corporation

Level 2
Unfortunately we don't have a traffic manager or a project mgr for that matter... not yet anyhow. So it is currently up to a system admin to re-route (or try) it. :( Giselle Quintero Cross Country Home Services

Level 4
The easiest way to change the queue topic on an individual item is by creating a report (possibly prompted) that includes Queue Topic Name as a column. A report is better than a view because if you view the issues on a particular project, you can only set a queue topic name that exists on that project, whereas in a report you can give it any queue topic in the system. If you need to update queue topic in bulk, forget about doing it through the web-app. You'll need to use the api (at Jackson we have an api script specifically for this purpose). In general, queue topics are only good/required when you need to initially capture a new data point or direct an issue to another location. Once the issue is created, you can add/remove custom forms and move/delete the issue itself so there shouldn't be a need for changing the queue topic in most cases. I've found that queue topics do not work well for categorizing work for reporting. It's simplest to have a custom form/field whenever you're looking to categorize things for reporting purposes because in that way you have the ability to easily control/change categories as well as having a connection between hours reports and the issue's 'category' (can't do that with queue topics). James Bender Jackson/JTS