Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Annual Planning - what do you report out?

Level 2
Hello, I'm going through an annual work plan exercise and I'm curious what others report out on. Projects completed? Projects completed on time? Percentage of projects completed on time, etc? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks! Mike Pauley HANYS
6 Replies

Level 2
Hey Mike - here is a summary of what we do. Basically we do the same projects every year, and we watch the hours planned vs actual on the projects. We don't care about costs because that is assigned/monitored elsewhere. Load 60+ projects; weekly tasks and assignment hours Take a snapshot of initial load - planned hours Weekly: snapshot of actual hours Put into MS BI to see burndown Is the planned on target or did we over/under estimate? Are any projects in trouble - do we need more resources? Are any projects completed early - are there available resources? Are there unplanned projects, and how much time did they defer from planned projects? Each week we adjust as needed. Annual: Review hours spent per project, and what the time was spent on. Do we need more/less resources? Are there business process improvements we can make to reduce tasks hours? Copy projects/actual hours - create new workplan for new FY. This is basically our cycle. Hope it helps! Celeste Celeste DiDio PricewaterhouseCoopers - Partnership Tax Affairs

Level 2
That's very helpful. Thank you Celeste! Mike Pauley HANYS

Level 1
Mike - we are new to Workfront and not yet live, however below are the elements I currently include on my monthly PMO Scorecard. I am hoping to report similar information from Workfront though I anticipate many calculations will continue to be excel based. NOTE: Timeframe is indicated at the beginning of each item. FYI, the trending information helps with staffing decisions. YTD: Planned to Actual Project Status (The majority of our projects are identified in Annual Planning which includes anticipated Kick Off/Deploy Quarters) Pending Active Deployed or Closed Total Projects (may vary due to unanticipated projects added during quarterly review cycle) 12 Month Trending: # of Active Projects 12 Month Trending: # of Deployments/Cumulative # of Deployments 3 Month Trending: Projects by Project Life Cycle Phase (rolling 3 month trending) YTD: PMO Transformational Hours by Functional Areas (Marketing, Finance, Legal, Operations,...etc) Our PMO include PM, BA, QA, and Data Analyst (Reporting) roles. This reports helps business leaders connect the work of the project teams to their area of business Business Intelligence (Reports, Data Requests, Consulting Requests) Beth Ann Fox Royal Neighbors of America

Level 2
Hi Celeste Are you exporting data from Workfront on a weekly basis to run reports in MS BI? Do you also use the Workfront reporting tools? Annikki Desmarais Cantactix Solutions Inc.

Level 2
Hi Annikki, Yes - I actually run 3 WF reports on a weekly basis. Another team takes those reports and plugs them into a BI tool. This cycle is fairly new - so I am starting to look into an API that will 'pull' the data so it is 'on command' for the BI - and remove the manual action of running the reports. Thanks, Celeste Celeste DiDio PricewaterhouseCoopers - Partnership Tax Affairs

Level 2
Thank you Beth Ann. Mike Pauley HANYS