Expand my Community achievements bar.

adding Project, Tasks and Assignments via Kickstarts

Level 2
Hello gurus! I am loading our Fiscal Year projects by creating a Project, a Task, and an Assignment Kickstart to load. They loaded fine in Sandbox 1 and I was able to tie out all data. My concern is the new Resource Planning and Scheduling tabs. We are still using Legacy (diehards!) but I hope to get my users to switch to the new Resource Planning Tabs this year. Are there additional objects I need to populate to get the planned hours to show up in the Planning tab? I do have new resource pools; so as long as the employees are in the resource pools will that take care of it? Thanks in advance! Celeste Celeste DiDio PricewaterhouseCoopers - Partnership Tax Affairs
2 Replies

Level 10
Hi Celeste, I'm just getting hot and heavy on the new Planner (like for the last month) so hopefully someone more experienced will chime in here. But I'm finding the key ingredient in the new Planner is ensuring every user you care about has a Role associated with them (and a Schedule). And I would recommend one role per user if that's possible (just makes it easier later). It can be done with multiple roles, just makes your Capacity Planning a little more difficult later on. What I'm finding on the Resource Pools in the new feature is that it's only needed when you want to use it as a Filter. But the new process allows you to Filter on a lot of other things too, so the Resource Pool doesn't seem to be a requirement anymore. Someone please stop me if I'm lying here, but that's what it's looking like so far. Outside of that as long as your Planned Hours are entered on your tasks and in the right dates there's not much else to do to get them to show up in the Planner (other than Filter properly). Then the hard part begins of seeing who's overloaded and moving things around etc. But I'm definitely curious to see other responses.

Level 2
Thank you Vic! I agree - I have been testing in Sandbox 1 and I found the same - as long as my users have roles; (we all have a schedule), I can see the hours and work with it. I am working with management now to switch to the Planning and Scheduling tabs in WF. Hopefully it will fulfill their needs iin replacing the Resource Grid. Celeste DiDio PricewaterhouseCoopers - Partnership Tax Affairs