Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Accessing the Program Name from a Task Report

Level 2
I have a task report that lists the milestone tasks. This is presented to management on a weekly basis. I need to group these tasks by project name but also by program name. I have access to the programID via the project object. I looked to see if I could Group By the programID, but it is not selectable. I have tried using text mode to get to project.programID, but so far have had no luck. Does anyone know a way to do this? OR - even better, to Group By Program Name so that it would be understandable when looking at it in the report (programID is somewhat cryptic). Thanks. Susan Browning Susan Browning Internet Testing Systems
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

6 Replies

Level 10
Hi Susan, you need to switch to text mode in the grouping and change the "valuefield" entry. Here's the format: valuefield=project:program:name

Level 4
Hi Narayan, That worked perfectly for my report. Could you explain how to translate that into a pie chart? None of the Program names are appearing. Thank you! Best, Christine Christine Zhu Chobani

Level 10
Unfortunately, that can't be done as far as I know. I think you have to calculate the program name on a custom form on the task so that you have a value to group by for Program.

Level 7
Yep, charts don't play nice with text mode. You can create a calculated custom field on a task custom form: Project.Program Name That'll show you the program name from the project, at the task level. From there, you can then group by it, and chart with it. The down side? You need to ensure that field is on a custom form that is on every task you want to display in your results. With the recently added ability to set a default form for new tasks, this shouldn't be much of an issue moving forward, but you'll likely need to bulk edit old tasks. (Task report will work fine for this.) Good luck! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 7
I've had to do something similar lately and maybe I can break it down into simple terms. I wanted to group issues by the program name. The first step was attaching a calculated field to the issue. How do we do that? Custom forms. I have a issue custom form that has literally 1 field in it, it's a calculated field which attaches to every issue that I want to determine the program of. The calculated field consists of only "Project.Program" in the calculation field. One thing to note, when using a calculation in such a way you have to work backwards from the object you're starting with. In other words, since I'm using an Issue report, the next object above Issue is Project, then above Project is Program. So that's why my calculation works: (Issue Report) -> Project -> Program, expressed as Project.Program. If I wanted to reference the Portfolio it would be: (Issue Report) -> Task -> Program -> Portfolio expressed as Project.Program.Portfolio If it was a project report it would be (Project Report) -> Program -> Portfolio expressed as Program.Portfolio Once this form has been created and applied to all of your relevant objects the reporting is straightforward. Here are some handy help articles that I was able to use as a reference: Understanding Objects Using Calculated Custom Data Calculated Data Expressions Richard Carlson Behr Process Corporation

Level 7
Fantastic work. One thing to note is when looking for portfolio data from the issue object, you don't need program in the middle. Projects can reside on a portfolio or a program on a portfolio, which means you can use Project.Portfolio (or Project.Portfolio Name) Our API Explorer will show which fields can be referenced like this: https://experience.workfront.com/s/api-explorer Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront