Expand my Community achievements bar.

Suggestions for an "API for Fusion Admins" course

Level 5

So, like many of you, I find myself as a second/third career Workfront admin. I worked in magazine publishing until I was let go due to magazine publishing dying. My introduction to Workfront was a "happy accident"--one which has been literally life-changing. Learning Fusion has been rewarding and a lot of fun. There's still quite a bit I feel I need to learn (Hi training folks, Fusion Bootcamp Part 2 pls). But a least I can think through a problem and come up with a solution.

My job primarily revolves around Fusion and developing automated augmentations for workflows within Workfront. We're also starting to want to do more integrative work. And this is where I find a hole in my knowledge. When it comes API stuff though (and how it relates to Fusion)...I need help. 

I'd love some suggestions--particularly from other second-career Fusion admins--for courses/websites/etc. which may be helpful with this stuff. If I'm going to invest my off-hours time learning some cool API stuff, I want to get the most bang for my time investment. 

It would also be super useful to have typical Fusion API syntax and the like easily accessible within Experience League. I'll be honest--the documentation for a lot of this within Experience League leaves a lot to be expected. 

Any help = greatly appreciated...

-j

5 Replies

Employee

Hi @JohnJOSullivan ,

Thank you for bringing up this subject I'm gonna start off light with a couple of standards that you probably already have..but perhaps they'll be useful for others.  Just for clarity there is no public Fusion API yet.  I'm assuming you are talking about using Fusion for API connections to other things.  I'll start with Workfront and then people can add to this.  

Workfront API: https://developersupport.workfront.com/page-api-explorer.html

Workfront API Basics (these aren't all "Basic"...I would have called these Foundations): https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/workfront/using/adobe-workfront-api/api-general-information/...

Workfront Custom API Module: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/workfront/using/adobe-workfront-fusion/fusion-apps-and-modul...

Gonna throw this in here as well since if you are working in Workfront eventually you'll probably also be working in Proof.  Here is its current API info: https://api.proofhq.com/

A lot of people make use of postman to help them understand APIs at a much deeper level you might want to download and use that app.  - My personal opinion is that it definitely helps if you want to go deep at all. 

Level 5

Thanks for the resources! What I would love to see is a child of the API Basics page and the Custom API module entry. (Ideally, it'd be a major unit of any future Fusion advanced bootcamp.) I find that many times, I struggle with figuring out the particulars how how to use the Custom API call module. Usually, I reverse engineer what has been done before by Adobe consultants. (It's always a good idea to steal from the best. :D) 

I haven't used Postman, but I'm gonna get that now. Thank you for the suggestion! (CORRECTION: It was used as part of the bootcamp. Just needed a "forgot password" link and now I'm in.)

Employee

Well probably the single most useful thing I've seen so far is how to build a very specific custom API call using the Fields query:

In this case...I get all of the custom fields using parameterValues:*

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 9.54.38 AM.png

Results:

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 9.58.28 AM.png

Level 5

This is really great and awesome--and I can see at least 12 uses for this in stuff that I'm thinking through, so thank you for that.

One question I had when playing with this. Let's say that I want to transfer the paremeterValues from one object to another. Is there an easy way to map field values from that initial object (using this method) and transferring over any matching values to the secondary object. (Example: A document has fields which are also found on an issue.) 

Of course, I can do this The Old Fashioned Way, and manually select which values go into the secondary object. But it would be greater to have a way to do this in bulk. It'd definitely help future-proof scenarios if and when we need to add additional values to forms.

Always thinking, but always behind in the race, looking for a place to tie up my shorts before they fall off.

-j

Employee

@JohnJOSullivan yes I'm pretty sure that is possible and involves some pretty fancy array work that I'm not a master at.  Sounds like a good one to ask one of our Integration Consultants if you have the opportunity to engage with them sometime soon.