Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Fusion newbie question on creating projects with an associated owner

Level 2

I've built a simple scenario that creates projects from a csv list and adds a template task structure to build out the projects for the coming quarter with projected dates etc.

However one field from the csv (the project owner) can't map to a field in the create project module - project name maps to Name and launch date maps to Projected Completion Date, but the only owner-related option is Owner ID.

I'm a little confused as I assumed I could map the PM's name to that field, given when I run a Workfront report to show only "project manager x"'s projects, one filtering criteria I use is that the Owner ID = the project manager's name, and that report works fine. Likewise, in the create project module in Fusion, when clicking into the Owner ID field during mapping, it loads a list of Owner names, not IDs.

I appreciate I may have explained it poorly but does this sound like a challenge anyone else has faced? Anyone got a good tip for getting around this, or simply updating a series of projects with owner names from a list (which would feel a bit of a laboured workaround, but since it's automated it makes little difference)

Thanks for any help, please do ask any clarifying questions if I haven't been clear but you think you may be able to help!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

One way to tackle this is to add a column in your CSV for the PM's Workfront User ID, then point the Owner ID at the User ID Column. Otherwise, as Chris has mentioned, you'll need to search for the name first (search everyone with a plan license to get a list of PMs for example), match the name and pull the User ID then drop that into the Owner ID.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

You have to pass the Workfront ID for the user into the ownerID field, so you'd have to do a search to find the user's Workfront ID, and then include their ID in the ownerID field.

The owner field is a smart field, which actually provides a link to the Workfront user, which is how you can do views/filters by project owner name, or email, or whatever other user field you would like.

Correct answer by
Level 4

One way to tackle this is to add a column in your CSV for the PM's Workfront User ID, then point the Owner ID at the User ID Column. Otherwise, as Chris has mentioned, you'll need to search for the name first (search everyone with a plan license to get a list of PMs for example), match the name and pull the User ID then drop that into the Owner ID.

Level 2

Thanks both - with your helpful responses I've now solved it. Not ideal but it at least works!