Expand my Community achievements bar.

Best practice for Issue to Task / Project conversions

Level 9

Hello Fusion experts,

as far as I know there are two native ways to convert an issue / request (OPTASK) to a task or project in Fusion.

Convert Object module
This one does not provide very much configuration possibilities.

Misc Action module 

The one we are using a lot.

Using the Misc Action module lets us define almost any field of the resulting object. Unfortunately due to the Workfront API, a lot of settings will be ignored.

One example: 

We use a request queue, which is "monitored" by a specific team. As soon as a new request arrives, they do check it and change the request status to a custom status (like Request approved).

This status change triggers a Fusion scenario, which automatically converts the task to a request. Unfortunately in the resulting task under Details -> Task stakeholders -> Requested by the name of the user, which is assigned to the Connector between Fusion an Workfront is shown. This is our general admin account. 

Inspecting the newly created task in detail will show the id of the admin account in the field enteredByID.

Changing the mapping of this field in the Misc Action module to the original requestor is ignored, as well as the option preservePrimaryContact.

From a technical / audit point of view, I understand this approach, but from a workflow perspective it is unfavourable. 

Am I making a mistake here, or is this simply one of the disadvantages of using Fusion / the API?

Fortunately, the original requester can be traced via the field convertedOpTaskOriginatorID.

I would like to hear your thoughts, ideas or ways how you are working with automation steps, which are triggered by a user and should be also traceable to this user.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Lars

0 Replies