Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break this WEDNESDAY on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!

API Authentication

Level 5

Can anyone tell me how I authenticate with an API key? From what I can see this is the command:

curl https://api.smartsheet.com/2.0/users/me \

`-H "Authorization: Bearer ############"

I tried to use the HTTP fusion but the URL doesn't work.

Ultimately, I'm trying to create a Fusion that will watch new rows on a Smartsheet so I can have them added into Workfront.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

API
3 Replies

Level 4

Hi Howard,

I hope you are doing well.

First, a disclaimer: Smartsheets has informed Workfront that they do not want us to build and maintain an integration to their software services. As such, we do not offer a standard Smartsheet connector nor provide support for such a thing. They see our solutions as too competitive and apparently do not see value in allowing our mutual customers to benefit from the best of both worlds. As such, anything I say here should not be construed as official support for an integration with Smartsheet.

All of that said, I'll highlight a few notes here that are useful for connecting Fusion to other systems that common authorization models.

1. Smartsheets uses a standard authorization model for their API which is called OAuth2. This means you don't just use an "api Key", but instead there is a standard model for logging in to the other system, creating and exchanging tokens, etc.
  2. As such, if you wanted to connect to an OAuth 2-based system, you'd want to use the "Make an OAuth2 Request" universal connector. I should note this is an advanced connector that typically requires a user to be familiar with OAuth2 concepts.
  3. You'll need to register and receive a client ID and client secret from Smartsheet to make this all work.
  4. You can read more about how to setup this connection with OAuth2 -based services here: https://one.workfront.com/s/article/HTTP-modules-1674219795?ui-force-components-controllers-recordGl...

Hopefully that helps. Cheers.

Level 5

@Darin Patterson - inactive‚ Hi, between this post and Brian Haight's help, I did get the connection to work to Smartsheet. In trying to do a search:

https://smartsheet-platform.github.io/api-docs/#search

I'm getting a 404 error.

The documentation says it needs the authorization header. Is that included automatically from the connection or do I need to find my authorization key to search and add it as a header on the module?

Level 4

Hi Krissy, unfortunately I'm getting dangerously close to supporting a "Smartsheet integration" which I cannot do.

But I can say that, properly setup, the HTTP oAuth connector will automatically include the token in the Authorization header. (you can also override the default settings for unique oauth2 implementations). Specifically, the default configuration of this connector will pass a "Authorization" header with the value "Bearer {access token}"

A "404 error" is actually something that is more indicative of not finding a particular resource. (not usually related with authorization / authentication) I'd actually check the URL I am calling very closely.

Cheers.