Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break this WEDNESDAY on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!
SOLVED

Unique Uses for Workfront

Level 7

Have you used Workfront for something unique or specialized that others may not have considered?  I have a few examples I can share:

• Team Project with a parent task for the Team unit as well as each team member to track training, team meeting notes, team activities, etc
  • Text mode library & dashboard for easy logging and look up of text mode that is used repeatedly
  • Templated response dashboard for easy copy/paste of frequently used comment responses
  • Data Entry DB to enter custom form data spreadsheet style from the project sidebar

I'd love to see ideas others have put into play in Workfront. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I can't take credit for this, but we use Workfront to onboard new users to Workfront. It was a tip from one of the webinars a while back, and it's been so helpful. We make a new project from our onboarding template, for each new user. It has a task for everything they're expected to do, and each task links to training materials and/or videos. We use about two hours for in-person training to go over the task list, then we transfer that project over to the new user. That way they'll always have the training right at their fingertips.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Community Advisor

I'm not sure if this is unique or different.  We have a specific department in marketing that focuses on presentations and proposals for prospective clients.  There is typically a Lead person assigned to that client and the proposals could be for any of 4 regions (North America, Latin America, EMEA, APAC).  We use Fusion to help automate the project templates, it maps out like this:

• A request is submitted, there are fields for presentation, proposal and another field for regions (the 4 above) as users fill it out and submit, Fusion will create a Master Program, for the client referenced.  It will also use a template to create a Master project for that client.
  • The Master project template is simple and has a Summary task called Assignments and under it has Presentation, North America Proposal, LATAM Proposal, EMEA Proposal, APAC Proposal tasks depending on what was selected above on the custom form that we have Fusion create.
  • There is a template for each of the items (presentation, NA proposal, LATAM proposal, etc.) that Fusion grabs and creates, essentially creating subprojects that are linked to the master project.
  • Fusion also creates an issue for each of the Summary tasks (that are created) so that we can link the separate project plans for each of the items above to the task in the master template.
  • There is a PM assigned to the master project and creative owners are assigned to the other prez and proposal projects.
  • As the creative projects are completed, they update the issue attached to it with status and we run a Fusion job that then looks at those Issue items and makes sure to close the task connected to it on the master.
  • This allows for a type of master/sub project effect

Level 7

holy moly that is cool... I have just recently implemented something very similar as a manual process. Now I am going to map it for Fusion. Thanks for the idea! 

Community Advisor

Should you want to set up time to see how it works, ask questions, and understand how the tasks in the master template, connect to an issue and that issue connected to a project plan (from a template).  Reach me at kurt.jones@jpmorgan.com

Level 7

Sorry, I'm a little late getting back to you on this, Kurt, but thanks for the offer! I may take you up on that when things smooth out after the new year. Happy Holidays!

Level 4

At my previous employer, we used Workfront to run a profile picture contest. The details can be found here

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I can't take credit for this, but we use Workfront to onboard new users to Workfront. It was a tip from one of the webinars a while back, and it's been so helpful. We make a new project from our onboarding template, for each new user. It has a task for everything they're expected to do, and each task links to training materials and/or videos. We use about two hours for in-person training to go over the task list, then we transfer that project over to the new user. That way they'll always have the training right at their fingertips.

Level 2

@RhondaTriggs how do you store meeting notes? I'm interested to hear your process.

Level 7

I create a task in the project for specific meetings and keep my notes at task level so that they are labeled as such in the update feed.
I have a Notes dashboard in my project sidebar so that I can filter, view and group notes in different ways depending on what I am looking for... 
I also have a Meetings Notes custom form field that tracks in the update feed, which I display on a team meeting dashboard where I can add notes inline during team meetings without having to click into the project. Hash tags are also helpful for specific type of notes, such as #customercall notes or #vpfeedback or any non-task specific note that may be important to find later. 
I hope these tips help! 

Level 3

Love the idea of a text mode library and logging meeting notes in updates! Brilliant.