Expand my Community achievements bar.

What is DTM?

Level 10

Hi,

I am trying to understand DTM.

I see that there is AEM that implements tagging on pages for classification and search.

On the other hand there is Adobe Analytics, that records data from pages.

1. With reference to these two how does DTM fare? DTM looks to be combination of these two.

2. I am also reading "Data Distribution" as a part of DTM documentation. Is it like information exchange like passing arguments?

3. When we think of a Tag management system, what strikes me is to collect and use tags.

But DTM looks to be going much beyond tags and this.

Probably a practical use case clarifies things better.

Appreciate your support.

Thanks,
Rama.

5 Replies

Level 10

Hi Rama ,

Dynamic tag management lets marketers quickly and easily manage tags and provides innovative tools for collecting and distributing data across digital marketing systems. Dynamic tag management also enables responsive delivery of user-specific content —providing new levels of agility and control to companies seeking to thrive in today’s fast paced digital marketplace.For more business use cases see the following link :

https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/dtm/c_overview.html

Basically You can create Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) solutions that integrate with these Digital Marketing products: Adobe Analytics, Adobe Target, and Dynamic Tag Manager (DTM).Please see the following link for more information on integrating AEM with DTM, Adobe Analytics and Adobe Target

https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/using/integrate-digital-marketing-solutions.html

Thanks & Regards

Parit Mittal

Level 10

Hi Parit and all,

I went through those links earlier itself. The link you have offered for the use cases is at a very high level.

Apologies for asking some very fundamental questions.

1. AEM facilitates specifying tags on pages to help search. What is AEM tag and what is DTM Tag? We understand the new by mapping it with the known right?

2. When I read DTM functionality, it resembles that of Adobe Analytics. Both DTM and Analytics use Java script code to post values from pages to the target.

Why cant we live with Analytics? Why do we need DTM?

3. When you say " tools for collecting and distributing data across digital marketing systems", are we saying that DTM would collect data from one of Adobe marketing Systems like AEM or Adobe Campaign and passes this data to other Adobe marketing cloud products like Target and Media Optimizer?

4. Is it like a message passing agent?

5. Please direct me a specific real time use case.and guide me to understand how DTM helps to surmount Business challenge.

Appreciate your support.

Thanks,
Rama.

Level 10

Hi Rama ,

Please find below my answers to your question in Bold. Please let me know if you have any more questions or queries.

1. AEM facilitates specifying tags on pages to help search. What is AEM tag and what is DTM Tag? We understand the new by mapping it with the known right? //Adobe Experience Manager (AEM), is a comprehensive content management platform solution for building websites, mobile apps and forms - making it easy to manage your marketing content and assets However DTM is basically a tag management system i.e. Tag to track CTA (Call to action) , content consumption and interactions,

2. When I read DTM functionality, it resembles that of Adobe Analytics. Both DTM and Analytics use Java script code to post values from pages to the target.

Why cant we live with Analytics? Why do we need DTM? // Earlier we used to manually implement Adobe Analytics tag i.e. snippets of Analytics code on a webpage and it required coding knowledge However through DTM ,marketers who don't have much knowledge about coding can implement and effectively manage tags through DTM. DTM and Adobe Are inter-related i.e. DTM provides an easyand effective way to implement DTM tags

3. When you say " tools for collecting and distributing data across digital marketing systems", are we saying that DTM would collect data from one of Adobe marketing Systems like AEM or Adobe Campaign and passes this data to other Adobe marketing cloud products like Target and Media Optimizer? //Yes, Absolutely

4. Is it like a message passing agent? //Please  be more specific about same 

5. Please direct me a specific real time use case.and guide me to understand how DTM helps to surmount Business challenge.// Please refer to the following document for more specific use cases- http://www.searchdiscovery.com/adobe-dtm/tag-management-use-cases/

Thanks & Regards

Parit Mittal

Level 10

Hi Parit,

Your pointers are all highly valuable.

I think AEM tags are limited to AEM. They wont pass to any other product. But tagging wise, both taggings  (DTM and AEM) are for asset classification/search only.

a. DTM Tags also emanate from AEM only or any other amc product also?  But they can spread to any AMC Product.

b. The business use cases in that link are at a very high level. They wont explain how DTM comes to the rescue.

I am looking for any simple use case which talks about the requirement and explain how dtm achieves it. Like a flow end to end. Please see whether you can offer me a small example like this.

Ex: 1. Business case is defined.

2. Marketing person sets a tag in aem page. No need for an IT guy.

3. On user action, dtm tag will be set on dtm product in the cloud. Of course, AEM needs to be configured for DTM connection prior to this.

4. From there it goes to Adobe Campaign say.

5. campaign uses it to send an email or so. 

6. This will complete the loop.

I believe this offers me a better understanding of DTM.

Appreciate your help and patience.

Thanks,

Rama.

Level 3

Found some good basic set of videos explaining what is DTM at the below link. This might help.

Dynamic Tag Management Overview

Thanks,
Aman