Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Page load tracking firing on any link click

Level 1

Hi,

We have DTM enabled on our website (built with Angular) for reporting page loads to Adobe Analytics. The Pageload event fires correctly. I can create Event Based rules to track link clicks which trigger a JS function and do not point to a HREF and they fire correctly. In the debugger, I see the following logs for such events:

SATELLITE: detected click on A satelliteLib-xxx-staging.js:2 SATELLITE: Rule "Event59 - XXXX Link Click" fired. satelliteLib-xxx-staging.js:2 SATELLITE: Adobe Analytics: tracked link using: linkTrackVars="events"; linkTrackEvents="event59" contentscript.js:21 SiteCatalyst Server Call #1 (483 chars) CUSTOM LINK        : ------ Report Suite ID    : -------- Page Name          : state.mypage Current URL        : https://www.uuuuuuuuuuuuu Events             : event59 Currency Code      : USD Char Set           : UTF-8 Screen Resolution  : 1440x900 Color Depth        : 24 JavaScript Version : 1.6 JavaScript Enabled : Y Cookies Supported  : Y Browser Width      : 814 Browser Height     : 725 Version of Code    : JS-1.5.1-D56N Data Centre        : somtr.xxxxx.com

But the problem is that any link on the page which has a HREF value also fires the PageLoad event and makes a call to Adobe Analytics on its own. Normally during a page load rule firing, I see DTM logs getting printed and it logging to the console which rule is fired and what wasn't fired. However, when I click on any link, I only see 1 line :

SATELLITE: detected click on A

followed by this call --- its getting generated from contentscript.js. I tried adding logging to it and this is being generated by the s_code hosted inside DTM. But I am not sure why it would fire on its own for any link click.

contentscript.js:21 SiteCatalyst Server Call #4 (697 chars) DOWNLOAD LINK      : undefined Report Suite ID    : xxxx Page Name          : state.mypage Site Section       : mysection Current URL        : https://www.uuuuuuuuuu prop2              : aaaaaa prop5              : bbbbb prop6              : cccc prop14             : cccc:dddd Currency Code      : USD Char Set           : UTF-8 Screen Resolution  : 1440x900 Color Depth        : 24 JavaScript Version : 1.6 JavaScript Enabled : Y Cookies Supported  : Y Browser Width      : 814 Browser Height     : 725 Version of Code    : JS-1.5.1-D56N Data Centre        : somtr.xxxxxx.com

Can someone help me on how to prevent this? 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Cleve Young wrote...

The second server call you show looks to be a Download link, indicating Analytics thinks you are downloading a certain type of file. If this is the case, try going into the Analytics Tool>Link Tracking section and either un-checking "Track download links", or if you do have download links you want tracked then find which file extension is triggering the call and remove it from the list.

Hi Parminder, 

As mentioned by Cleve, the second server call looks to be a download link. Also, Adding on to your point, we can prevent internal links not to captured as outbound links by doing some simple configuration in the tool setting under "Link tracking" tab by specifying the internal links in the never track dropdown. please refer the following link for more details.

https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/dtm/link_tracking.html

Thanks & Regards

Parit Mittal

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 1

I think I found the issue. Its due to "Link Tracking" section's Outbound Link rules. How do I add condition to prevent the internal links (same domain) to not be captured as outbound links? 

Level 2

The second server call you show looks to be a Download link, indicating Analytics thinks you are downloading a certain type of file. If this is the case, try going into the Analytics Tool>Link Tracking section and either un-checking "Track download links", or if you do have download links you want tracked then find which file extension is triggering the call and remove it from the list.

Correct answer by
Level 10

Cleve Young wrote...

Hi Parminder, 

As mentioned by Cleve, the second server call looks to be a download link. Also, Adding on to your point, we can prevent internal links not to captured as outbound links by doing some simple configuration in the tool setting under "Link tracking" tab by specifying the internal links in the never track dropdown. please refer the following link for more details.

https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/dtm/link_tracking.html

Thanks & Regards

Parit Mittal