Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Orders by new customers event

Level 2

I have recently discovered this success event in my Adobe Analytics - Orders by new customer.

The scope of it is self-explanatory, but this is showing 0 occurences in the past.

The thing is that I have this data element - Client type, which is fired in the page load rule Checkout - Complete - Confirmation.

Coming back to my event Orders by new customer, I want to add it in the same page load rule Checkout - Complete - Confirmation, but to be fired only when Client type = returning.

Do you have an idea if this is possible in this rule or I should create a new one?

Also, is there any piece of code which should be included in the Custom page code?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

In DTM, you'll want to set a rule that triggers the event in question, as well as providing a unique value in the 'serialize from value' field. The setting 'use event ID' means that an event will not send data to Adobe Analytics unless it is accompanied by a unique value.

Typically the field 'serialize from value' is a data element captured elsewhere on the page. If this data element sends a duplicate value ever, those duplicate values don't record the event.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hi Catalin, is this for DTM or Launch?

Employee Advisor

Do you have more details on the success event 'Orders by new customer'? It is not one that comes out of the box, so it's either going to be a calculated metric or custom event.

If it's currently collecting data, awesome. Analytics can't retroactively collect data, so I anticipate it would be working correctly in this scenario.

Level 2

It's a custom event and under Unique Event Recording is set Use Event ID.

Unfortunatelly, no data is collected.

So what I need to know is how to make this event to be fired on payment successful page ONLY when the client type evar is set on NEW.

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

In DTM, you'll want to set a rule that triggers the event in question, as well as providing a unique value in the 'serialize from value' field. The setting 'use event ID' means that an event will not send data to Adobe Analytics unless it is accompanied by a unique value.

Typically the field 'serialize from value' is a data element captured elsewhere on the page. If this data element sends a duplicate value ever, those duplicate values don't record the event.

Level 2

Client type data element will return new or returning, everytime after an order is placed. So if 3 new customers A, B, C are coming one after each other and place an order, the will get the value new and Orders by new customers event will not record anything?

Which means that instead of setting "use event ID" I should choose "always record event".

Level 2

Gigazelle Might be fixed, that event was missing from the page load rule - adobe events in DTM.

Also in report suites I kept the recording setting "Use event id" because in page load rule I already had this condition (thanks for the hint with unique value):

if (s.eVar8 ==='new'){

s.events = x+a+b+c+d+",event15,purchase,event21:"+_satellite.getVar("Transaction: PurchaseID")

} else{

s.events = x+a+b+c+d+",event15,purchase"

Adobe is collecting data now.

Employee Advisor

If you already have your own 'new' logic, you might even be able to get away with simply always recording the event, since it would only trigger for new customers.

You could also remove the if statement, and rely on event serialization to deduplicate events.

These are completely optional since you mentioned it's working - just an opportunity to reduce redundancy.

Level 2

You are right, thanks for feedback.