Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Dynamic Tag Manager - FTP Delivery in Embed Tab

Level 2

I would like to refer the staging and production satellite JS file in the page source based on the environments (Dev, Prod), instead of providing two different satellite files, one for staging and one for production. For that I thought of using FTP option by hosting these files from our server instead of using amazon 

Question 1: What are the features of FTP delivery? why shouldn't we use FTP instead of amazon?

Question 2: Will FTP delivery serve my purpose of referring the staging and production satellite JS files depends on the environment?

Question 3: If FTP delivery service is chosen, i believe the content in the JS file will automatically get updated whenever i make minor changes in DTM.                         Please confirm

Question 4: Is there any limitations in using FTP delivery?

Please help me understand the usage of DTM FTP delivery as soon as possibe

Thanks,
Venkatesh

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Venkatesh,

The workflow built-in to DTM is designed to leverage the separate Staging and Production library files. Your production site(s) should link to the production version of the Embed code, and your lower environments - dev, test, UAT, staging, etc. - should all link to the staging version of the Embed code - regardless of which hosting option you choose (external, FTP, or Library Download).

1. Most DTM clients use one of the internal hosting options: either FTP or Library Download. There's no reason not to use FTP instead of Amazon, unless you are unable to host the library files on your own architecture for some reason.

2. Not sure how you plan to use conditional logic to check your environment "referring" to the Staging and Production library files. The Staging and Production versions of the files should each reside somewhere on your architecture when using the FTP hosting option.

3. Yes, that's correct. When you choose the FTP hosting option for the library files, the system will send any code changes to the location specified in the settings screen. Any changes you make in the user interface will be reflected in the library files and sent via FTP delivery to your architecture.

4. The only limitations we run into are with client environments. In other words, if your company has no limitations on receiving the library files via FTP delivery, then there are no limitations to speak of.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Venkatesh,

The workflow built-in to DTM is designed to leverage the separate Staging and Production library files. Your production site(s) should link to the production version of the Embed code, and your lower environments - dev, test, UAT, staging, etc. - should all link to the staging version of the Embed code - regardless of which hosting option you choose (external, FTP, or Library Download).

1. Most DTM clients use one of the internal hosting options: either FTP or Library Download. There's no reason not to use FTP instead of Amazon, unless you are unable to host the library files on your own architecture for some reason.

2. Not sure how you plan to use conditional logic to check your environment "referring" to the Staging and Production library files. The Staging and Production versions of the files should each reside somewhere on your architecture when using the FTP hosting option.

3. Yes, that's correct. When you choose the FTP hosting option for the library files, the system will send any code changes to the location specified in the settings screen. Any changes you make in the user interface will be reflected in the library files and sent via FTP delivery to your architecture.

4. The only limitations we run into are with client environments. In other words, if your company has no limitations on receiving the library files via FTP delivery, then there are no limitations to speak of.

Hope that helps!

Level 2

Thank you so much Jeff

Two more questions

I am using amazon embed code right now, later i thought of migrating it to FTP delivery,

will there be any impact in the my tracking by switching from amazon to FTP? 

will i be able to get the historical data in SC? 

Please let me know your comments

Regards,

Venkatesh

Employee

Switching from S3 hosting to FTP won't impact your tracking.

It also won't have any effect on historical data in SiteCatalyst - any data already collected and available in SiteCatalyst will still be there.

Level 2

Thank you so much Jeff

Happy New Year to you and your family :)