Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

DTM + Google Analytics config for multiple property IDs

Level 4

We have a global property ID and site level IDs and I'm looking for the best way to implement.

Examples that need to be covered:

The scripts on the page should not duplicate Google Analytics code, it should simply send 1 or more property IDs in the single call.  I have tried using rules to insert a second ID, but that doesn't seem to work.  I don't want to have to setup a unique property in DTM and a unique cloud config in AEM.  I want to control the filter on DTM and use a single cloud config on AEM if possible

Environment:  Pages are in AEM and the scripts are loaded by the ACS Commons DTM cloud configuration service.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

I am sorry for the very delayed reply.  We looked at the options and there are a few.  A good one is building robust rules on DTM to deliver at the URL level, but for a few reasons we went another route.

We use two cloud services for each site.  We leverage ACS Commons to easily do this.

1. Adobe Dynamic Tag Manager config for the global ID that we place on our global homepage.  This is inherited on everything.

2. Generic Analytics Snippet config for each site that places the additional GA variables for the site level ID.  This was simple this template:

var _gaq = _gaq || [];
_gaq.push(["siteTracker._setAccount", "UA-XXXXXXX"]);
_gaq.push(["siteTracker._setAllowLinker", true]);
_gaq.push(["siteTracker._setDomainName", ".domain.com"]);
_gaq.push(["siteTracker._trackPageview"]);

So for each site we have two analytics cloud service configs.  

This is not necessarily the best practice, but is was fast to market, easy to understand and probably more simple to setup as opposed to a complex global rule set on a single DTM configuration.

I am now curious how you ended up setting this up.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 4

I tried one approach where I added a dept level DTM Property and setup another AEM DTM config, but I can't add two configs from the same service to an AEM page.

Level 1

I have a nearly identical challenge, trying to manage multiple GA profiles in a single DTM instance:

www.mainsite.com = GA Rollup Profile

www.mainsite.com/product1 = GA Rollup Profile AND GA Product 1 Profile

There doesn't seem to be an obvious rule configuration in DTM to limit GA Product Profile 1 so that it only fires pages views on /product1 pages.

Have you had any success with your earlier question?   I'm interested to know, seems like we are basically trying to do the same thing.   I plan on contacting client care if I can't find a solution in this forum.

Correct answer by
Level 4

I am sorry for the very delayed reply.  We looked at the options and there are a few.  A good one is building robust rules on DTM to deliver at the URL level, but for a few reasons we went another route.

We use two cloud services for each site.  We leverage ACS Commons to easily do this.

1. Adobe Dynamic Tag Manager config for the global ID that we place on our global homepage.  This is inherited on everything.

2. Generic Analytics Snippet config for each site that places the additional GA variables for the site level ID.  This was simple this template:

var _gaq = _gaq || [];
_gaq.push(["siteTracker._setAccount", "UA-XXXXXXX"]);
_gaq.push(["siteTracker._setAllowLinker", true]);
_gaq.push(["siteTracker._setDomainName", ".domain.com"]);
_gaq.push(["siteTracker._trackPageview"]);

So for each site we have two analytics cloud service configs.  

This is not necessarily the best practice, but is was fast to market, easy to understand and probably more simple to setup as opposed to a complex global rule set on a single DTM configuration.

I am now curious how you ended up setting this up.

Level 1

Did anyone find a solution?

I try the below solution:
Second GA tool can be added, and condition can be added here for url/site. which will only trigger when it finds some part in url / hostname.