Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

count id's >5 in DTM rule

Level 1

Hi there,

do you know if I can set up somehow in the Rules for DMT to proceed only if the number of Id's(users) is >5? If not where and how I can set this up?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

DTM runs as javascript in the browser of a website visitor.  In most situations, one visitor will not have access to information about others using the same system.  Having said this, if there is a way to get the "number of users" via client-side javascript, then, by all means, you use this as a condition in the rule.

I'm envisioning a hotel booking site where there are "nudges" telling you that "5 other people are looking at this property right now".  In this case, the information is certainly available in the browser and could be used in DTM rule conditions or actions.

So, the answer is really, "It depends on what info you can get at from the browser within the visitor's session".

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

DTM runs as javascript in the browser of a website visitor.  In most situations, one visitor will not have access to information about others using the same system.  Having said this, if there is a way to get the "number of users" via client-side javascript, then, by all means, you use this as a condition in the rule.

I'm envisioning a hotel booking site where there are "nudges" telling you that "5 other people are looking at this property right now".  In this case, the information is certainly available in the browser and could be used in DTM rule conditions or actions.

So, the answer is really, "It depends on what info you can get at from the browser within the visitor's session".

Level 1

HI stewarts16448458​,

thank you so much for your answer! I didn't use the right word. It's not the users but the unique visitors. Sorry about the confusion.

Can I track only if unique visitors per Country are more than 5? On DTM Level in the rules can I set the condition or filter for unique visitors per Country >5? Thank you so much for your help with this!

Community Advisor

Sorry, but DTM does not have that information.  That is really in the realm of Adobe Analytics / Target.

If you think about the request in more detail, it may begin to resolve.

Request: I want to have DTM take some action for a visitor when there are more than 5 unique visitors in the Country of the visitor.

1) 5 unique visitors for a Country also requires the element of time (in what period of time?) Let's assume that we want to count 5 unique visitors in a country in the last hour.

2) Since DTM runs on the client and only knows about what one user does, we need a place to aggregate data to get unique visitor counts. That place is some server-based system that receives data from MANY users, assigns them unique user ids and determines where each user is (geolocation. self-reporting, or known 1st party data).  Anyway, that server-based system would need to collect the data and constantly aggregate to produce a count of unique visitors per country.

3) Assuming that we have data collection and aggregation in place (step 2 above), we now need a way to provide that information back down to each DTM instance (as well as the country of the current user).  This would most likely be done via some sort of custom API call that would be made from DTM to the server.  Only after all this has been figured out and done, would you have enough information for DTM to act upon. 

A more typical approach is to do all this on the server-side, run the rule there and send content or action to the client.  This is more the model of Adobe Target (or Optimizely, Monetate, etc).

If your concern is just in analysis (and you aren't actually trying to take some client-side action) then could pull it out of the data that you have in Adobe Analytics via segmentation.

Level 1

Thank you so much for your respond! I also was thinking about creating a segment with this condition and then export the data with Data Warehouse (Adobe Analytics feature). The only requirement I do have is this condition to be executed before the data export. Do you think this is a good decision?

Thanks!

Community Advisor

I'm still not sure I understand what it is that you are trying to accomplish.

Let's assume that I am a customer on your website.

Let's assume that I am tagged as being from Canada.

Let's also assume that there have been >5 unique visitors from Canada in the last hour.

Is my experience different than if there were 5 or fewer unique visitors from Canada in the last hour?

As a customer, do I see something different?