Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024 Adobe Target Community Mentorship Program are open! Click to the right to learn more about participating as either an Aspirant, to professionally level up with a new Certification, or as a Mentor, to share your Adobe Target expertise and inspire through your leadership! Submit your application today.
SOLVED

Use Response Token inside Profile Script

Level 2

Hello, I would like to be able to use response token data inside a profile script. 

My task is to use "activity.name" as a profile script value so that I can count the amount of time this activity was seen and apply frequency capping.

for example, if activity views are < x, display activity, otherwise don't.

return activity.name;

simply using this is not returning anything.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Response tokens are not available for profile scripts. Profile scripts run before response tokens are generated. However, to achieve your use case, one option I can think of would be including a trackEvent in your activity to trigger a second call back to Target to tell a profile script an activity view happened. For example, you could add this trackEvent to your experiences as a custom modification:

<script>
adobe.target.trackEvent({"mbox":"activityViewNotify", "params":{"activityName":"${activity.name}"}});
</script>

Then you could have the profile script look for the activityViewNotify mbox and the value of the activityName parameter to determine the count.

Note the ${activity.name} token is not a response token but has the same value. It's dynamic data in an offer as used here.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Response tokens are not available for profile scripts. Profile scripts run before response tokens are generated. However, to achieve your use case, one option I can think of would be including a trackEvent in your activity to trigger a second call back to Target to tell a profile script an activity view happened. For example, you could add this trackEvent to your experiences as a custom modification:

<script>
adobe.target.trackEvent({"mbox":"activityViewNotify", "params":{"activityName":"${activity.name}"}});
</script>

Then you could have the profile script look for the activityViewNotify mbox and the value of the activityName parameter to determine the count.

Note the ${activity.name} token is not a response token but has the same value. It's dynamic data in an offer as used here.

Community Advisor
Hi @Deleted Account tried this approach for one of my usecases , this works fantastically!

Level 2
@Ryan_Roberts_ do you know the time it typically takes for the mbox to populate so I can have the profile script look for the mbox?

Employee Advisor

@CorralesDmboxes don't need to "prepopulate" to that dropdown in the profile script edit view before you can use them in a profile script. You can copy a different mbox reference and then just update the name in the script. As long as the script part contains the correct names you are good. The dropdown is just for reference/help it does not provide any functionality to the script.