Level 2

Tip /
Sign in

Sign in to Community

to gain points, level up, and earn exciting badges like the new
Bedrock Mission!

Learn more

Sign in to view all badges

SPA Question - Can anyone explain how Target caching works?

Level 1

I'm facing the following issue with an SPA:

• Context:
    • At implementation level in Launch, I'm initializing Target on page load and firing a triggerView on History Change (in two different rules, both using Target v2 Extension events).
    • The SPA root is root/
    • The intended Page Delivery for my activity is root/item/1
  • Issues:
    • When I set Page Delivery in Target activity to be root/item/1, it only gets activated on page load and not when navigating from the SPA root/.
      • In this last case, by debugging using the Mbox Trace the intended activity doesn't appear in the Evaluated Activities
      • My guess here is because the last page load was made in /root then the activities with Page Delivery set as root/item/1 won't even be evaluated here because of the Server-side decisioning.
    • By setting the Page Delivery url as the SPA root/ and refreshing the page in root/item/1 the expected modifications get applied, however when navigating from the SPA /root the expected modifications are not applied.
      • In this last case, by debugging using the Mbox Trace it says the activity was evaluated and passes all the qualifying criteria, however, it never gets to apply the modifications.
      • My guess here is because the last page load matched the Page Delivery of the intended activity (/root) then it cached the possible upcoming activities under the SPA /root path, but due to something else I'm unable to identify yet, it's unable apply the changes.
  • My conclusions:
    • For me none of the above ways to setup the Page Delivery solves the expected activation that is when the page loads in the expected url /root/item/1 and when the user navigates there from the SPA /root 
  • Questions:
    • How does caching works for SPAs to explain the current behavior?
      • Documentation says "Wherever triggerView() is implemented on your SPA, the Views and actions are retrieved from cache and shown to the user without a server call. triggerView() also makes a notifications request to the Target backend in order to increment and record impression counts".
    • What's the recommended way to setup Page Delivery for SPAs?
    • This SPA runs on React, is it possible that React is blocking Target to apply modifications due to the OOTB re-painting tasks run by this framework trying to preserve the state of the App?. How can I confirm/avoid that?
  • Documentation I used for my setup:
1 Reply

Employee Advisor

@javierm24191144  For SPA , there is a initial Target prefetch() call that captures all the views qualifying for that activity  and their corresponding experiences .

After this delivery request , when ever we fire any view notification call using triggerView() function , the content associated with that view renders on the page.

To further debug , could you try firing the triggerView call on URL change? You may use Data element to capture the viewName :

Gaurav_Singh_2-1657634949376.png

or

simply capture the URL change in the Data element , something like this :

Gaurav_Singh_3-1657635031396.png

and then fire triggerView call on this data element value change:

Gaurav_Singh_0-1657634878659.png

Hope this helps.