Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024 Adobe Target Community Mentorship Program are open! Click to the right to learn more about participating as either an Aspirant, to professionally level up with a new Certification, or as a Mentor, to share your Adobe Target expertise and inspire through your leadership! Submit your application today.
SOLVED

Inactive activity, but still a server call?

Level 1

Hi fellow Target users,

I am wondering if inactive experiments are still making server calls on targeted pages and as a consequence making impact on my page performances.

I know paused Optimizely tests are still making these server calls and therefore they advise users to archive finished tests.

Anyone any experience with this issue?

Thanks a lot.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

rubenv70221477

Here is a summary of some of the things that have been mentioned in this thread along with some additional details:

Is there a technical difference between Inactive and Archived in terms of fired server calls?

In terms of fired server calls no difference. If you have target deployed on a page it will fire 1 server call to Adobe every time the page is loaded irrespective of how many activities you have loaded on the page. Unless you have custom mboxes but even then lets say you have 2 custom mboxes there will always be 2 calls that fire on the page irrespective of how many activities you have in active or inactive state.

And if so, would you advice me to archive all my tests? Currently all ended tests are still in Inactive mode.

Yes I woudl but not because of performance on the site. Rather because of performance with QA URLs. When you attempt to use a QA URL the system checks against a list of activities. Because it's possible to want to QA an activity with state: Active or Inactive but not possible to QA an activity that has been archived. I've seen accounts that haven't archived in such a long time that this starts causing issues with content not displaying for QA URls simply becuase there are so many inactive activities to check.

If this satisfies your query please like, mark as helpful and mark as answer. Otherwise lets keep the conversation going. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Mihnea Docea | Technical Support Consultant | Customer Experience | Adobe | (:: 1 (800) 497-0335

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 10

Could you elaborate more on the scenario?

- activity type

- current status

- reporting source

- definition for the server call term used in the question

- why do you think the activity continues to work

Level 1

I've got hundreds of tests currently in inactive status instead of archived status. I want to either archive them all (lots of time) or do nothing (saves me time).

Based on earlier experiences with different a/b test programs I know that inactive test are not running, however they are still active on your site.

What do I mean by active? Example for Optimizely:

If you are running a test on for example www.test.nl/test and decide to place this test in to inactive, the test is not running but it's still active. Everytime you load this page the server checks the status of this test. One can imagine that if you have 30 inactive tests making 30 calls it takes a lot from your performance.

So, what should you do with inactive tests? Does it hurt your website performance when there are hundreds of them?

Level 10

Ruben, I do not understand your concern yet. What problem do you want to solve?

The AT library is anyway on the page which means it affects the page load as any other digital asset.

What I think you need to check is how AT is implemented on your site. One option is when you use a global mbox that is one server call. The other option is when there are multiple mboxes and each sends its own server call.

Regardless of the activity status, the server calls are sent if the mbox(es) are fired by the library. The activity status affects what AT backend will do (in other words, will the visitor be evaluated agains the audience/activity/experience).

Level 1

Hi Andrey,

Thanks so far! I think we're getting close.

Is there a technical difference between Inactive and Archived in terms of fired server calls?

And if so, would you advice me to archive all my tests? Currently all ended tests are still in Inactive mode.

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

rubenv70221477

Here is a summary of some of the things that have been mentioned in this thread along with some additional details:

In terms of fired server calls no difference. If you have target deployed on a page it will fire 1 server call to Adobe every time the page is loaded irrespective of how many activities you have loaded on the page. Unless you have custom mboxes but even then lets say you have 2 custom mboxes there will always be 2 calls that fire on the page irrespective of how many activities you have in active or inactive state.

Yes I woudl but not because of performance on the site. Rather because of performance with QA URLs. When you attempt to use a QA URL the system checks against a list of activities. Because it's possible to want to QA an activity with state: Active or Inactive but not possible to QA an activity that has been archived. I've seen accounts that haven't archived in such a long time that this starts causing issues with content not displaying for QA URls simply becuase there are so many inactive activities to check.

If this satisfies your query please like, mark as helpful and mark as answer. Otherwise lets keep the conversation going. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Mihnea Docea | Technical Support Consultant | Customer Experience | Adobe | (:: 1 (800) 497-0335

Level 1

Thanks!

I will use this information and make a decision.