Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024 Adobe Target Community Mentorship Program are open! Click to the right to learn more about participating as either an Aspirant, to professionally level up with a new Certification, or as a Mentor, to share your Adobe Target expertise and inspire through your leadership! Submit your application today.
SOLVED

How to kick a visitor out of an experience if their cookie changes

Level 2

Is there any way to kick a visitor out of an experience if their cookie changes (based on mbox parameter) after they've entered the campaign? It seems like once you're locked into an experience you will always get that experience even if you no longer qualify for the mbox parameter designated in the audience for campaign entry.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Jessica,

Hmm..have you tried adding a final experience to your list of experiences that is acts as a catch-all? Don't apply any targeting on it, and then show default content. That will make sure that users who no longer match the targeting for an experience will fall into that one. You can also reach out to Customer Care and we can look into what is going on - you shouldnt need to create a "catch all" experience.

Thanks,

Kimen

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Employee

Hi Jessica,

If you're using Target Standard or Premium, then all of the targeting is evaluated on every request, so if a user's cookie changes they will no longer see the test content.

If you're using Target Classic, you'll need to make sure you use "mbox targeting" described here: https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/tnt/help/c_Preparing_a_targeted_Campaign_or_Test.ht...

Hope that helps!

Kimen

Level 2

Hi Kimen,

I am using Target Standard, is there a setting I need to adjust somewhere to allow this? When QAing, we could see the cookie had changed but somehow still saw the original experience for the first cookie we had.

Thanks!

Jessica

Level 2

A little more technical detail on what we're seeing:
The X/T activity is based on an audience where the value of an mbox parameter is set to 'n' and, for test purposes, the current page URL contains admin=9.
If you go to the page (let's say X.html?admin=9) and have the parameter set to 'n' you will properly be put into the activity and see the experience. So far, so good.
Now, you go off and do something so that when you come back to the page, the parameter is now set to 'y'.  I would not expect to still see the experience, but just the default page.  However, I still see it.
Similarly, if I just change the URL of the page to X.html?admin=1, I still see the experience.  Given the audience says to look for admin=9, I would not expect to see the experience from this activity.
It just seems like once somebody enters that activity, it keeps showing it to them regardless of whether they still match that Audience which doesn't sound like it should be the case.  So we aren't sure if this is a bug, we are misunderstanding how this should work or if there is some setting that isn't set right.

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Jessica,

Hmm..have you tried adding a final experience to your list of experiences that is acts as a catch-all? Don't apply any targeting on it, and then show default content. That will make sure that users who no longer match the targeting for an experience will fall into that one. You can also reach out to Customer Care and we can look into what is going on - you shouldnt need to create a "catch all" experience.

Thanks,

Kimen

Level 10

Hi Jessica, 

I hope your query is resolved now . If not, Can you please let us know so that we can further help you out with the same.

Thanks & Regards

Parit Mittal