Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Exclude Internet Explorer

Level 2

Hello,

does anybody know how can I exclude Internet explorer traffic from a test? I have tried a few things with no success. My latest attempt was to create an expression target which excludes IE Traffic and then use it in a segment. The expression target is this 

return (user.browser.indexOf('MSIE') == -1);

This means users that do not contain "MSIE". So this should work, however I keep getting considered in my demo test.

I would appreciate any hint.

Thank you,

Ivan

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your patience here, I did validate your approach to exclude internet explorer traffic and this seems to be the correct approach till internet Explorer Ver10, from version 11 onwards MSIE string has been replaced by “rv” which gives you the browser version so you might want to use that as well.

Hope this helps

Raag

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Employee

Hi Ivan,

I am looking into this and will update you shortly on this.

Thanks

Raag

Employee

Hi Ivan

One appporch to do what you are trying to implement this is to create a new segment in target and target it at the campaign level. You can create a segment when creating a campaign and select visitor behavior->browser:firefox,browser:chrome and so on and exclude browser:internet explorer.

Hope this helps

Raag

Level 2

Hello Raag,

I'm afraid that doesn't work because in that case all conditions are "and" conditions and not "or" conditions. Therefore Visitor Behaviour -> browser: firefox "and" browser: chrome will never be a case (a coworker tried this and simply got no traffic). I have read the documentation, several times :), and I think the right way to do it is by creating an expression target. This is also the way the documentation sort of describes it, although not explicitly.

I think I have figured it out. At first I created an expression target using T&T Expresion Creator (http://adobetarget.com/tools/targets/), which is something like this 

return (user.browser.indexOf('MSIE') == -1);

the problem with this (something I noticed later) is that in contrast to Built in targets MSIE is not closed in quotation marks (screenshot -> http://screencast.com/t/AVh7FL2Ahy6L). I have tested it and it seems this work. I thought this wouldn't be a problem since in Javascript " and ' is the same, however it might be that T&T uses JSON at some point, in which case there would be a difference.

Unfortunately I didn't noticed the missing quotation marks before and it was until a test started running that I noticed we still got traffic from Internet Explorer. That's why I want to make sure this time as at least in my QA this solution works, however it is until one runs an actual test that flaws can be noticed.

Once you have created your expression target you can call it from your target library (screenshot -> http://screencast.com/t/xR5zVYvwoc).

Hope someone can confirm my approach.

Best,

Ivan

Employee

Hello Ivan

I am looking to get more clarity into this. Will revert shortly.

Thanks

Raag

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your patience here, I did validate your approach to exclude internet explorer traffic and this seems to be the correct approach till internet Explorer Ver10, from version 11 onwards MSIE string has been replaced by “rv” which gives you the browser version so you might want to use that as well.

Hope this helps

Raag

Level 2

Hi Raag,

thanks a lot for your reply. I will consider including "rv" in my Target Expression.

Thanks for your help.

Best,

Ivan