Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Adobe target profile tag values overwriting each other

Level 1

We are experiencing an issue when updating existing Adobe Target customer profile through the bulk profile update API V2: https://developers.adobetarget.com/api/#updating-profiles

We start with an existing contact my_contact_1:
{
"client": "exchange***",
"visitorId": "my_contact_1",
"modifiedAt": "2019-10-18T13:05:50.048-04:00",
"profileAttributes": {
"a": {
"value": "a_value",
"modifiedAt": "2019-10-18T13:05:50.047-04:00"
}
}
}

We update this contact with the bulk profile update V2 API with body:
batch=thirdPartyId,b
my_contact_1,b_value

At this point we expect the contact to have tags {"a": "a_value", "b": "b_value"}.
Instead we get:
{
"client": "exchange***",
"visitorId": "my_contact_1",
"modifiedAt": "2019-10-18T13:07:51.613-04:00",
"profileAttributes": {
"b": {
"value": "b_value",
"modifiedAt": "2019-10-18T13:07:51.613-04:00"
}
}
}

There is this line in the documentation: "Consecutive V2 batch update calls without mbox calls in between for the same thirdPartyIds override the properties updated in the first batch update call.". But its not clear what an mbox call is in this case. We tried performing all kinds of calls in between and tag values still get overwritten.

What happened to tag "a"? How can I prevent the old values from being overwritten?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi simondatalz​,

Thank you for reaching out!

Could you please elaborate the kind of calls you performed in between the two update calls? The way the V2 batch update works is that, if an attribute was uploaded on Day 1 and the same attribute was not present in the batch upload on Day 4, with no intervening user visit (mbox call), the original attribute (uploaded on Day 1) will no longer be associated with the profile. The V2 batch update API optimizes for performance.

Scenario 1:

1. Batch update a=1, b=2

2: Batch update b=3, c=4

3: Fetch profile, "a" will be missing (as per expectation for V2 batch update API)

Scenario 2:

1. Batch update a=1, b=2

2: User visits site

3: Batch update b=3, c=4

4: Fetch profile, "a" will be present (as per expectation for V2 batch update API)

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi simondatalz​,

Thank you for reaching out!

Could you please elaborate the kind of calls you performed in between the two update calls? The way the V2 batch update works is that, if an attribute was uploaded on Day 1 and the same attribute was not present in the batch upload on Day 4, with no intervening user visit (mbox call), the original attribute (uploaded on Day 1) will no longer be associated with the profile. The V2 batch update API optimizes for performance.

Scenario 1:

1. Batch update a=1, b=2

2: Batch update b=3, c=4

3: Fetch profile, "a" will be missing (as per expectation for V2 batch update API)

Scenario 2:

1. Batch update a=1, b=2

2: User visits site

3: Batch update b=3, c=4

4: Fetch profile, "a" will be present (as per expectation for V2 batch update API)