Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024 Adobe Target Community Mentorship Program are open! Click to the right to learn more about participating as either an Aspirant, to professionally level up with a new Certification, or as a Mentor, to share your Adobe Target expertise and inspire through your leadership! Submit your application today.

How do we create an Audience for Logged-in Users only?

Level 3

Is there any OOTB option available in Adobe Target which enables me to create an audience consisting of Logged-in Users only without passing any custom variable as part of mbox call? I have implemented the ID Sync call (setCustomerId) on successful login and it is firing before Target call on the landing page after login. I'm looking for an OOTB option like we have for New/Returning VIsitors.

Thanks!

9 Replies

Level 4

architg36409633

Unfortunately, there is in-built audience available for Logged-in users. You may achieve this by creating a profile script and then use it in an audience.

Thanks,

Karan

Employee

@architg36409633, As Karan mentioned, there is no OOTB option for such an audience. But it sounds like a great idea which many customers could benefit from and thus would be great if you submit it as an enhancement or feature request through Target - Ideas  --> Submit an idea

Level 3

Will surely do that!

There is actually one more thing that i need help with:

1. I created a segment/audience using the customer attribute within Target

2. Called the setCustomerId from Visitor ID service on the landing page after login, followed by Target mbox call which now included the vst.<datasource>.<id> field and vst.<datasource>.<authstate = authenticated>

3. Target rendered the relevant experience

4. Clicked on Log-out, fired the setCustomerID call with auth state = logged out followed by target mbox call which also included vst.<datasource>.authstate = logged out

5. Target is still rendering the experience that was supposed to be only for the logged-in user

Do I need to call some other target function to make Target work in anonymous mode as it was before the user logged-in to the site?

Thanks!

Employee Advisor

architg36409633

Unfortunately this is not something that is available out of the box. Partly because we wouldn't have any way to know what to use as the identifier of logged-in vs not logged-in.

If I were tasked to do this here is how I would go about it in order to make the process as easy and quick as possible. Check with IT to see if there is a special parameter that gets added to the URL after a user logs in. Even something such as user=archit If that is the case all you would have to do is set up an audience to Target based on URL query contains "user=" that woudl give you logged-in users.

If this satisfies your query please like, mark as helpful and mark as answer. Otherwise lets keep the conversation going. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Mihnea Docea | Technical Support Consultant | Customer Experience | Adobe | (:: 1 (800) 497-0335

Level 3

Hi Mihnea,

Re: Partly because we wouldn't have any way to know what to use as the identifier of logged-in vs not logged-in.

As I mentioned in step 4, when the user clicks on the Log Out link, I am making a ID Sync call with auth state = logged_out and which is also included in Target mbox call which I'm firing right after the logged_out ID Sync call. Since Target used the original ID Sync call from Step 2 for user login and pulling the customer attributes, can't it use the log out call from Step 4 for logging out the user? Target just seems to support the login functionality (which is pretty neat) but not the logout functionality.

Thanks!

Employee Advisor

architg36409633​,

In regards to the latest part of your question: "5. Target is still rendering the experience that was supposed to be only for the logged-in user" that is expected for A/B activity types as once the user gets cookies into the Activity Experience they are in it until their cookie expires (14 days) or until they manually clear their cookies.

To creatively address this I woudl recommend switching to an XT (Experience Targeting) activity type as that activity type does have the ability to allow users to switch between experiences. That would work well with building two different audiences one for each visitor type logged-in vs not logged in.

If this satisfies your query please like, mark as helpful and mark as answer. Otherwise lets keep the conversation going. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Mihnea Docea | Technical Support Consultant | Customer Experience | Adobe | (:: 1 (800) 497-0335

Employee Advisor

architg36409633​,

Unfortunately before you can build an audience based on authenticated status you will need to find a way to track that so that you do have an identifier for logged-in vs not logged in.

Employee Advisor

Right, Maybe you can set flag for logged in customers in cookie or local storage to identify logged in user and use that cookie or local storage value for creating audience with help of adobe launch. if you don't have/want anything like that, every website have some identifier to check login status of user, you can use that condition to create your audience.