Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024 Adobe Target Community Mentorship Program are open! Click to the right to learn more about participating as either an Aspirant, to professionally level up with a new Certification, or as a Mentor, to share your Adobe Target expertise and inspire through your leadership! Submit your application today.

☕[AT Community Q&A Coffee Break] 10/13/21, 8am PT: Gentry Lin, Senior Solutions Consultant for Adobe Target☕

Administrator

Join us for the next monthly Adobe Target Community Q&A Coffee Break

taking place Wednesday, October 13th, 2021 @ 8am PT

Be sure to MARK YOUR CALENDARS with a link to this thread

We'll be joined by Gentry Lin (aka @GentryLin), Senior Solutions Consultant for Adobe Target, who will be signed in here to the Adobe Target Community to chat directly with you on this thread about your Adobe Target questions pertaining to her areas of expertise She :

• Implementation

• Personalization

• Core web authoring workflows

• Adobe Experience Cloud integrations

REQUIREMENTS TO PARTICIPATE 

• Must be signed in to the Community during the 1-hour period 
  • Must post a Question about Adobe Target
  • THAT'S IT!  *(think of this as the Adobe Target Community equivalent of an AMA, (“Ask Me Anything”), and bring your best speed-typing game) 

INSTRUCTIONS 

• Click the blue “Reply” button at the bottom right corner of this post
  • Begin your Question with @GentryLin 
  • When exchanging messages with Gentry about your specific question, be sure to use the editor’s "QUOTE" button, which will indicate which post you're replying to, and will help contain your conversation with Gentry

**For those who have joined an Adobe Target Community Q&A Coffee Break before: please note that we are no longer using formal registration pages for these events - just be sure to Mark Your Calendars to sign in here to the Community on 10/13/21 @ 8am PT, and hop onto this thread for direct answers to your questions, from Gentry

GentryLinHeadshot.JPG

Gentry is an Adobe Senior Solutions Consultant specializing in Adobe Target. She has extensive practice in Target client-side implementation, including single page applications. Coming from a background in Adobe Audience Manager and Adobe Analytics, Gentry is deeply versed in how Target's integrations within the Adobe Experience Platform can power personalization, activation, insights, and optimization. She loves to talk with customers about how Target's dynamic targeting capabilities can help customers develop their personalization programs.

Curious about what an Adobe Target Community Q&A Coffee Break looks like? Be sure to check out our past 2020 Adobe Target Coffee Breaks, covering a WIDE variety of Adobe Target topics, and our latest thread from our 9/8/21 Adobe Target Coffee Break with @vishalchordia  

43 Replies

Level 2

Hi,

Implementing Target via GTM--is there an equivalent Adobe Target extension that we can use -I know its available in Launch/Telium?

Employee Advisor

@rc211 wrote:

Hi,

Implementing Target via GTM--is there an equivalent Adobe Target extension that we can use -I know its available in Launch/Telium?

Hello @rc211 - thank you for posting your question!  While it doesn't appear that GTM has a prebuilt extension,  Adobe Target can be deployed using a custom tag within GTM without issue.   

Level 1

@GentryLin Would just like to know more about Adobe Target.

Level 1

@GentryLin Is there a way to update Adobe Target profile attributes and make Target aware of the changes during a session? 

Employee

Good morning, @wlsguru! You can update profile attributes from the page by passing in specific profile parameters in getPageParams function on a new page load, view load, etc, which will update the profile in Target. Have you checked out this online resource?

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/audiences/visitor-profiles/variables-profiles-p... 

Level 1

Hi @GentryLin,

Would like to know if there is a solution for

1. cross-origin cookie (www.xxx.de -> buy.xxx.com)

2. targeting campaign by if a javascript variable or dom element is within a page.

Many thanks!

Employee Advisor

@collettec199516 wrote:

Hi @GentryLin,

Would like to know if there is a solution for

1. cross-origin cookie (www.xxx.de -> buy.xxx.com)

2. targeting campaign by if a javascript variable or dom element is within a page.

Many thanks!

Hi @collettec199516

Thank you for your question.  With the changing landscape on 3rd party cookies there is limited browser support for cross domain targeting / testing.  One alternative approach is to encourage authentication and pass in a unique customer id to stitch data.   For more information on what is supported related to 3rd pary cookies please refer to the following documentation:    

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/implement-target/client-side/at-js-implementati...

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/implement-target/client-side/at-js-implementati... 

For the 2nd question around targeting based on a javascript variable, it is recommended to pass in parameters into Target for building audiences.  Please refer to the following:  https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/implement-target/before-implement/methods/metho... 

Thank you!

Level 2

Hi  @GentryLin 

Could you please explain us how to share audiences between adobe target and adobe campaign ?

Employee

Good morning, @julienb20151765! Audiences in Target are not the same as segments in other Experience Cloud solutions in that Target audiences do not have populations; they are real-time evaluations of audience rules that occur on every hit, and thus cannot be exported or shared. Although you cannot share audiences created in the Target audience builder with Campaign, consider these approaches:

1) If you build segments in Adobe Audience Manager or the People Core Service Audience Library — that you then use as Target audiences — those audiences can be shared with Adobe Campaign. You can find more information here: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/campaign-standard/using/integrating-with-adobe-cloud/working...

2) Additionally, you can pass Target activity/experience data from the page into Campaign the way you would collect other visitor data today. You can then create audiences of visitors in Campaign who have been served a particular Target activity and experience. For more information:

3) You can also create segments of visitors who entered into an activity/experience in Analytics if you use our Analytics 4 Target integration and share those with Campaign. More on A4T here: https://spark.adobe.com/page/Lo3Spm4oBOvwF/ 

Let me know your thoughts!

Level 4

Wondering how to do an mboxTrace in order to validate a Geo targeting audience? How do you confirm the location/IP address that is being captured?  Also, would creating a profile script to look at geoprofile.geolocation.country be the same as what the out of the box Geo location audience parameter would look at?

Employee Advisor

Hello @ben_mrm and thanks for the question! The easiest way I have found to see what Target is 'seeing' as the geo location of a visitor is to turn on the Response Tokens related to geo and observe them in the Target Network call using your browser debugging tools. There are several pre-built geo-location Response Tokens that you can enable. 
Here is a link with more info on Response Tokens: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/administer/response-tokens.html?lang=en

Just note, that in order to view the Response Tokens in the network response for the Target delivery call, you must be in an active Target activity. 

Employee Advisor

@ben_mrm wrote:

Wondering how to do an mboxTrace in order to validate a Geo targeting audience? How do you confirm the location/IP address that is being captured?  Also, would creating a profile script to look at geoprofile.geolocation.country be the same as what the out of the box Geo location audience parameter would look at?

Hello@ben_mrm - great questions!  Response tokens can be used to return the geo information within the Target response for seeing the geo information that Target is basing its decision on. Please refer to the following:  https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/administer/response-tokens.html?lang=en.  

Using geoprofile.geolocation.country within a profile script is another way of capture / veiwing the geo information as well.  For more information please refer to this following resource: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/audiences/create-audiences/categories-audiences... 

Thank you for the great questions!

Level 2

Thanks for the responses here. So what if I've noticed that my location is not being captured as desired? For instance, using a VPN I connect to a server from Colombia. However, when I look at these options outlined above, I notice it states a Germany location. Any advice there?

Employee

Correction: there are limitations to my suggestion below for at.js 2.x. But here's a workaround provided by my colleague in another community post: https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-target-questions/equivalent-method-for-mboxov... 

___

Hi @muerben , in addition to Moses's suggestion, try adding this parameter to override location to test geo-segmentation and check the response:

?mboxOverride.browserIp=<IP you want to spoof>

Be sure to do this in incognito mode each time, as Target caches the location. Let me know how it works out!

Level 2

@GentryLin 

What would be the best practices of using Adobe Target within AEM, considering Adobe Target environments, workspaces and management within Adobe Target as well as any other considerations regarding permissions within AEM for Adobe Target administration.

Employee

Good morning, @mrivas-xpediant! Have you considered the AEM-Target Experience Fragments integration? This allows you to export AEM Experience Fragments to Target, which are automatically added to the Target Offer library, and available to insert into/replace content in your activity. You can use Experience Fragments in both the VEC as well as the form-based composer in Target. This integration enables content teams to maintain governance over templates while giving the optimization teams the ability to access those experiences seamlessly in their Target activity creation workflow, and is supported by AEM 6.4 and up.

More information can be found here: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-learn/sites/personalization/experience-fr...

And for an overview of AEM + Target, check out: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-learn/sites/integrations/target/overview....

Would this be a feasible solution?

Level 2

Hi @GentryLin would love to find out any tips or examples of how others have created experiences using Recommendations in Adobe Target. 

Employee

Good morning, @andyprout82! I wish we had enough to talk use cases! I invite other Target customers using Recommendations today to please chime in and share their insights.

Some food for thought: we've recently released Recommendations enhancements to identify the latest trending content using faster, more frequent algorithm runs. This can be used with any or the Popularity-based algorithm types, and benefits both e-commerce (trending products) as well as media and content (latest videos, articles, etc). And expect some additional enhancements before the end of the year.

Also, have you considered using Recommendations as an offer in an A/B or Experience Targeting activity? This capability opens the doors to more testing or personalization of your Recommendations. For example, A/B test different criteria, designs, placements, etc. Or insert Recommendations in an XT activity to serve specific criteria to a high value segment of visitors.

Finally, inserting Recommendations into an A/B test introduces the opportunity to use Auto-Allocate or, better yet, Auto-Target. Check out these links for more info:

Employee Advisor

hey @andyprout82! Just to add to what Gentry has said... when thinking about where Recommendations might be a good fit I often look to content on the site that requires someone (or teams) to look at data, then make a decision on what to display based on that data. For example, looking at content or products with the most engagement or sales and then creating a ticket for the content team to change the content or products displayed based on that content. This can all be replaced programmatically with Recommendations and further it can incorporate business rules and profile information to make the content personalized for every visitor!

Another great tip for getting going with Recommendations is to just help the user pick up where they left off. Recommendations will keep track of the content/products the user has viewed and when they come back to your site, you can help get them back to what they were interested in. 
Check out the links Gentry sent for sure, but above are a few of the ways I've seen Recommendations be very successful.