Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

XML Source Tab Not working Can't view XML Script

Level 3

Hello Forum,

I I've noticed a problem when I copy and paste an image/text from a MSWord doc or PDF File. After pasting a few images the XML Source Tab no longer lets me view the XML Script.

I've heard of this problem before but had no solution.

Is there a program that can fix this? Or do you have a solution to fix it.?

Thank You,

Arnold Love

7 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

To be honest I tend to always browse to an image rather than pasting it into LC Designer. Where you have an image in Word, I would get it into an image editor (Photoshop) and export to JPEG.

imho.

Niall

Level 3

Hi,

The image I have is from an old form. How would this image benefit my form if I process it through photoshop?

Thanks for your response,

Arnold

Level 7

You mention "old form" and you also mention "MS Word". It is not clear if the "old form" is a PDF, or rather, a MS Word form, or once a PDF and the image somehow is in Word?

First, MS Word handles images in a most bizzare and rather inconvenient way. My advice is never copy and paste images from MS Word--because you won't get the original file, or even a jpg, for that matter. Get the image file from the previous PDF by openning it in Designer, right-clicking on it and "Add to Library" Then, once in your linrary, you can easily add  it to any new form.

If (only exists in a MS Word.doc) {

function MyFunnyWorkAround(MSWord.doc)     {

1. Open in MSWord.doc and "save as" HTML (yes, HTML) to a convenient spot, like your desktop.
  2. Find the folder MS Word created for the image files, on your desktop.
  3. Inside there will be 2 versions of each image that is in in that doc (1  smaller re-sized thumbnail, 1 larger original)
  4. Open the larger original version of your image in Photoshop (or your  favorite image editor) and optimize it for your purposes, so it will  look its best and be an appropriate size for use in your forms.
  5. Save it to a place on your hard drive where you keep such things for  your project
  6. Open your new form in Designer and select "image" (not "image field") from the "object Library" pallet and draw a box with the cursor where you want your image to go

7. Double-click on the box you just created and navigate to the optimized  image file on your hard drive.
  8. Optional (but recommended): Right-click on the new image in designer and  select "Add to Library" so you can easily add it to forms in the  future.

}

}

Level 3

To clarify my response "old form"

The "old form" is a PDF.

I've had problems with both MSWord and PDF.

I appreciate all the preventive solutions.

Does anyone know how to fix my form so I may  view the XML Source?

I'm stuck in Design View, and I'm so far along with edits to my form.

Arnold

Level 7

Arnold,

My suggestion is:

1) Find the offending pasted object in the Hierarchy pallet. Delete it.

2) If if won't delete, as I suspect it may not, you may have to delete its parent container in order to make it go away.

3) After success in deleting it or its parent container, close the file and re-open it.

Good luck,

Stephen

Level 3

Hello,

I'm going to attempt a delete of the image I believe is causing this problem. Could you explain in detail what the parent container is?

I'm not sure if deleting the image alone will fix my XML problem.

I will try to delete the parent container.

Thank You,

Arnold L.

Level 7

Hi Arnold L.,

First, I just want to say, the strategy I suggest may not be the correct answer to your problem. I am making these suggestions based on my experience in resolving a mysterious problem I encountered not too long ago.

OK,

If the image(s) won't delete (as a result of you being unable to  highlight the image/object in the Hierachy pallet), hopefully, you have a  parent container that will highlight.

The parent would be the offending object's context--that is, an object higher in the Hierachy--the object the image is wrapped in--like a Subform. An analogy: It is like saying if you you got gangrene of the finger, you have to cutoff the offending finger higher up, at the elbow or the sholder.

So, if Designer will not focus on or highlight the offending object  (as a result of Designer not recognizing it), you will have to have  Designer focus on its parent--which it should recognize--and delete the  parent.

If the parent is the "Page" object and not a  Subform, you are faced with starting over, since deleting the "Page"  object will delete everything.

As I said, this is only a suggestion and perhaps not the correct answer.

FYI:

Pasting an image from another application into Designer, may have ruined your form--Designer dosn't work like that. In Desiger, objects are created. Designer has no clue what a pasted object from some other application is. You can copy and paste objects within Designer, but not from another application like MSWord. You can do things like copy text to be used as an existing object's caption from another application and paste it into the appropriate spot in Designer.

At the time of pasting that image from MSWord, it may have been possible to "Undo" the pasting  action--and if it hasn't been saved, you may still be able to "Undo"  it--depending on how many subsequent editing actions have taken place.

To correctly insert images, use the Object pallet or the "Insert"  on the menu bar or the right-click context menu. Allow Designer to create an object and then you are able to modify it.

Good Luck,

Stephen