Expand my Community achievements bar.

When subform reaches end of page, create new one and continue

Level 2

Hi there,

Okay, thanks to these forums I've managed to create a form in which a user can add more fields and a counter.

But when more than 25 fields are added, the subform goes out of the page. If this happens, I want it to go to the next page and continue with the subform.

It would be even better if textfields, numeric fields and an email button are also added to the new page so the user doesn't have to scroll up again to press the mail button or to see how many fields he made.

Is there any easy way (I'm not a scripter) to do this? I was expecting it to be automated, but it isn't.

14 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

The design page needs to be set to Flowed (which it probably already is) and in the Object > Subform palette tick the "Allow page breaks in content". Also in the Object > Pagination palette set the "Place to Follow Previous" and the After to "Continue filling parent".

See example 4 here: http://assure.ly/g80MVY.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 2

Okay, what needs to be set to Flowed? I converted Page1 to flowed, but that screwed the whole layout I've created. So is there a possibility to leave it positioned? Because I can set the layout like I want it to be, which I can't do when it's flowed.

The other question I have is, do I need to set "Allow page breaks in content" on the subform that will reach the end of the page?

Level 10

Hi,

Try leaving it as Positioned and in the Layout palette set the Page to Auto-Fit. If that does not work for your layout you will need to go Flowed. For example if you have fields below the repeating subform you will need a Flowed layout in order to push these objects down. See a description here: http://assure.ly/eSGQMt and an example here: http://assure.ly/e2jR0C.

In the example you will see how I grouped objects that don't expand into Positioned subforms. You should do this before you change the page layout to Flowed.

You will defenitiely need to set the Page to allow page breaks in content and any subform down to the repeating sufborm.

Good luck,

Niall

Level 2

Ok, I changed the Page to positioned again and recreated the form layout as it should be. I set the option Auto-Fit (both check boxes). I know there can be 25 fields added to one page at the moment. So I added 27. A new page gets created, but the entire subform is moving to the other page. When I add even more fields to reach the end of page 2, it creates another page again and moves the subform to that other page. Overflow of the subform isn't displayed on the new pages. Hope I'm explaining this correctly

Level 10

Hi,

Check that the Page is set to Allow Page Breaks in Content. Also any subform down to the repeating subform will also need to allow breaks.

I suspect that one of the containers is not allowing breaks and that is why the whole set is going onto the new page.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 2

I've set every subform to allow breaks as well as the table within a subform. It still gives me the same behaviour, the form jumps to the other page.

Level 10

Okay,

Work your way through all containers and in the Object > Pagination palette, make sure that you don't have either of the "Keep with" boxes ticked.

Does that help?

Niall

Level 2

Allright, checked all containers...well everything in the form, but both checkboxes aren't checked.     

Level 10

Hi,

It is difficult to say without seeing the form. Can you post it to a file sharing site, like Acrobat.com? If so make sure you Publish it and then post the published URL here.

Niall

Level 10

Hi,

Here is the form back to you: https://acrobat.com/#d=nzHvDdrgop0suRRhXTyRAA. The Page really needs to be set to Flowed.

So I have grouped all of the other objects in a Positioned subform at the top. Then when I set the page to flowed, it did not upset the layout.

I have moved the rectangle to the Master page and reduced the height of the Content Area, so that the form flows better. See here for a description: http://assure.ly/g0Wx7r.

Niall

Level 2

Thanks for all the work you've put into this!!

So if I'm right I should create these forms like follows:

- A positioned subform which I use to add all elements that need a fixed position;

- A flowed subform when using more dynamic fields like this one (?)

- A master page for recurring items. So basically the master works like a template for a header and footer for example Word does too.

Thanks again! I'll further investigate the example you've mentioned too.

Level 10

Yes, that's correct!

If you select a range of objects either on the page or in the hierarchy, you can right-click on them and then select Wrap in a Subform from the menu. This is the quickest way.

You can also set margins on subforms and objects in a flowed layout in order to space objects. See the Layout palette.

Good luck,

Niall

Level 2

Thanks again for the confirmation. I think I understand the logics behind this better now.