Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Trouble with automatic expansion in table cells

Former Community Member

I'm having trouble with a table in my LiveCycle Designer form.  In the document below, "Field 1", I enter text and the cell remains the same size, with the extra text indicated by a "+" on the bottom right.  This is the format I want.

However, when I enter more than one line of text in the indicated "problem rows" in the file, the cell automatically expands to accomodate the text.  This is something I do NOT want to happen...I would like the "Problem Rows" to show the same format as "Field 1" in the document, with the cell the same size and the user required to click the "+" to view the additional information.  The problem is, the expanded cells mess up the rest of the form when I put additional information in, and I'd like to keep the table cells uniformly the same size.

Thanks for your help!  The file is here:

https://acrobat.com/#d=tdu1W9Xp3PgGXcGLMLwo8A

Windows 7, Acrobat X Pro 10.0.0, LC 9.0.0.2

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

If you insist on going that route you can click on the cell that you want to control and on the Layout tab uncheck the expand to fit checkbox in the Height area.

paul

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Former Community Member

What if we fixed up the table so that it expands correctly (across the page) like the one attached.

Paul

Former Community Member

No, that's not going to work.  Sometimes the "requirement" and "expected value" entries on each row takes up more than one line, and I need the table cells to stay the same size as text is entered, as they do in Field 1.  We use a form like this at my workplace and it is often entirely filled with a lot of text.  The problem is, if one row in the table automatically expands to more than one line, the cells below it push the rest of the text together and create chaos.

Unfortunately, I need my original question answered on how to get the table cells to remain the same size and be in the same format as Field 1 is, with the "+" indicating hidden text instead of automatically expanding to show all the text.

Former Community Member

I am confused .....I fixed your form so that when the row grows it pushes the rest of the content down and expands to a second page if needed. It does not flow off of th ebottom like before ....is that a better solution for your Customer?

We can certainly do what you have asked most Customers want  to go in the direction above not in what you are asking. The biggest problem is when you print you will not be able to see all of the data on the forms....if that is not an issue then your idea will work as well.

Paul

Former Community Member

Sorry, let me be clearer.  The problem is, expanding the rows encroaches on other objects that are placed below the table (signature fields, specifically).  I took those away in the original file, but I've modified the file a bit so you can see what goes on:

https://acrobat.com/#d=-pwytpehY49EGNn3N3cb4g

We're actually not concerned with printing the paper data too much, as everything here is viewed electronically and printing is quite rare.

The other option, of course, is to modify the template so that the table is at the bottom and can freely expand.  But I was just wondering if it's possible to change the cell format and why one cell is formatting one way and another the other way.  I can see absolutely no parameter difference between them.  Is it even possible to match them?

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

If you insist on going that route you can click on the cell that you want to control and on the Layout tab uncheck the expand to fit checkbox in the Height area.

paul

Former Community Member

This is what I needed, thanks!  Credit given.

Level 2

Hey Paul,

I know this post is from a long time ago, but I'm having issues getting my table to expand across two pages like the sample you had attached...do you mind sharing how you did it? My table just keeps running off the page.

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----