Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Tooltips not showing for Reader users

Level 2

Hello all,

I've encountered a problem today with the release of a form to my users.

The form in question is a Dynamic PDF XML form with some javascript built using LiveCycle Designer.

My intention has been to use several small images next-to/in appropriate labels to show a tooltip to the user if moused over.

I created the tooltips using LiveCycle's Accessibility in the individual Image objects.

The tooltips show up fine for me looking at the PDF in Acrobat... but none of them show up for my Reader (8.1) users.

The form has been saved with Form Properties/Defaults/Target Version 8.1 or later selected.

I've theorized/tested that it seems to be the field type that doesn't like the tooltip.

I'm hoping for some solution to make a regular Image display a tooltip.

My alternate solution has been to use a Image Field (which does display correctly) but having it locked in someway to prevent a user from changing the image (hell, I'd like to just javascript the Image Field to cancel the browse to file option).

Any help? I feel like this has something to do with the file being a Dynamic PDF... I just can't figure out a way to configure the tooltips to display properly without using the actual Text Fields the user is filling (the tooltips are massive and undesirable in the fill fields).

Regardless the tooltip needs to be displayed in a way that it doesn't get tied to a fillable/alterable object (I even tried changing the label to a read-only text field to see if it would work, but it didn't).

Thank you for your help! =)

11 Replies

Level 7

Rather than using the object called Image Field have you tried using the object called Image? Users won't be able to change the image and you'll need to click the embed image checkbox to make the image part of the form or else users won't have a link to the image.

Level 2

My original attempt was to just use a regular Image object with tooltips (it's a tiny "?")

The Image object tooltip doesn't display for my Reader 8 users (but shows fine for me viewing it with Acrobat).

My only reasoning behind trying the Image Field object as an alternate was that the tooltip actually does display for my users.

But the whole click/browse to file prompt spoils it for me.

It seems like Reader has no problems viewing Tooltips with fillable/changable fields... but won't display them for static fields like Image/Label (at least with a Dynamic PDF).... which is the source of my frustration.

Level 7

Just to be clear though, on your original attempt did you have the "Embed Image" checkbox checked? If not, the path to the image you used will not be available to any other users unless the image is on a server with each machine using the same drive letter to access the folder the image is stored in.

Level 2

Yes, I had Embed image selected for all of my Image objects (and afterwards Image Fields).

Level 2

Even if there isn't a method to get a static Image/Label to show the tooltip.

Is there a Javascript command I could execute on Image Field click to halt the "browse to file" popup?

Level 7

As far as I know there isn't, the solution would be to use the other image field.

Level 2

This is not a bad idea and one that I was contemplating using.

I'm going to run a couple tests from a user Reader to make sure things appear.

Thanks for the example.

Level 7

It's definitely not high tech but it works with minimal effort. You'll just need to check to be sure the text field is in front of the image or the tooltip may not show.

Level 7

One other thing, apparently the tooltip will not display for any object that isn't an input field. I tried using the Image Field object and setting the access to protected using a script. When I leave the field changeable, the tooltip shows. When I put the script in to make the field protected, the tooltip will no longer show up. I think the sample I posted earlier is the only way to get this to work. I also tried scripting in a tooltip on the mouseEnter event and it didn't work either.

Level 2

Your workaround has proven successful.

I find it beyond annoying that LiveCycle is so rigid to disable the functionality of a regular Image field being able to do it in 1 step.

Thanks for your help.