Expand my Community achievements bar.

Tools to evaluate performance of adobe forms

Former Community Member

Hi,

I need some tool which will measure the performance of forms - time to load the form & time to load data in drop downs which are linked and dynamic and data for drop downs are getting fetched from database tables.

Is there is any tool available for to measure the performance since in my current project we are concerned with too much of scripting slowing down the form?

Please help.

Rohit

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

I don't know of specific tools. However have a look at John Brinkman's blog, specifically:

http://blogs.adobe.com/formfeed/performance-tuning/

Also John has various tools for layout: http://blogs.adobe.com/formfeed/2009/05/debug_merge_and_layout.html  and a script reporter http://blogs.adobe.com/formfeed/2009/05/document_your_form_template.html that may be of help.

Also check out Adobe Developer Network for guides for improving performance. http://www.adobe.com/devnet/livecycle/performance.html

There appear to have tools there if you are running server components of LC ES (other than just LC Designer).

Good luck,

Niall

Former Community Member

To get the timing of the listbox loading I have added Javascript to my calls that will timestamp when you start and when you end ...then get the elapsed time. I write to the console for these operations. The writing will affect the time, but usually that is insignificant compared to what I am trying to measure.

Paul

Former Community Member

Hi Paul,

Following are the specific scenarios for which we are concerned about performance.

Our form is integrated in an enterprise portal and at the backend there is a webdynpro program in SAP environment.

In our form, we have several sections and subsections which become hidden or read only based on the role of the person opening the form in the portal. Final rendtion of the form takes place according to the account group - one of the fields in the form and opening wndow in the portal. I figured out that there can be two approaches for these scenarios.

Approach 1

Sections in the form have been wrapped in subform - so I have status fields as hidden fields in the subform. Based on the value of the status field ('H' for hidden or 'R' for readOnly), the sections will be made read Only or Hidden. These status fields are set by SAP webdynpro at the backend. There will be several hidden status fields in the form.

Approach 2

The whole business logic is taken care of by javascripting in the following way.

Step id is all that is being passed from the web dypro interface which determines the role of the user opening the form and the rest is done in javascripting In the approach we dont have so many status fields for individual sections.

Sample PseudoCode

switch(step_id) {

case "01":

//requester role so call req() function

renderform(): //this function re renders the form according to account grp since form layout rendition is based on role and account grp (one of form fields)

case "02":

//approver role so call approver() function

renderform();

//Like wise we have 5 more cases for 5 different roles

}

function renderform() {

switch(acct_grp) {

case "Z001":

function call to render form based on the Z001 acct_grp

case "Z002":

function call to render form based on the Z002 acct_grp

//Like wise we have 5 more cases for 5 different acct_grps

}

}

the function in the switch statement does the same thing as the scripts used in the first approach i.e. making subforms readOnly or hidden.

My question is - are these switch statements and nested function calls going to have additional overhead in performance like loading of form in the portal?

Which approach is better from performance point of view?

Please let me.

Thanks

Rohit

Former Community Member

Anytime you add logic like that to a form you are affecting its performance. The actual code that you are adding will be insignificant but the operations that this code performs could have en even bigger impact. If your code is adding subforms (addInstance) then each time a subform is added the form must do a relayout. If your form is only a page or two this wil be insignificant .....the bigger your form gets the more impact this will have. Unfortunately there is no way for me to tell you how much impact there will be without trying it. Can you send me an email at LiveCycle8@gmail.com so we can discuss alternate approaches?

Thanks

Paul