Expand my Community achievements bar.

Text box flow hell... can I say that? :)

Level 4

Flowing text boxes are the bane of my existence. I get them working, then 2 hours later, they're funky again. This latest snafu is particularly perplexing. Getting a textbox to flow across pages without it presenting a scroll bar is impossible. Even if I input 2 lines of text, it gives me a scrollbar, 1 line here, 1 line there. When there's enough text to flow to the next page, each textbox on each page will have its own scroll bar with the entire contents of text in each one!

What have I done! :-0

Thanks,

Graham

5 Replies

Level 6

Hi,

You can make them exapndable under Object - Layout - Expan to fit.  In this case field will be expanded to text heigth.

Maybe you can use it.

Paul Butenko

Level 4

Thanks Paul. That's why I call it "flow hell". I've done that and it doesn't matter. It's got to be something else. It's just too weird to have 2 lines of text, and reader wants to put a scroll bar in it, even if there's lots of room left on the page.

It seems to be something at the document level.

I would upload the document, but it contains too much proprietary information.

Level 4

OK, I have discovered the problem. For the life of me, if I somehow managed to make this happen, I hope someone can tell me how, because I KNOW this isn't how I started off:

In the form properties, Compatibility Section -> Text Formatting and Event Model are both set to Legacy v.6! When I click on both Update buttons, the problem goes away, but much of my formatting gets messed up.

Somewhere in one of the past iterations, I recall that the form was static and that saving it as dynamic was not an option. The options in the Save as Type: dialog were Static, XML form (XDP) and LC Designer Template (TDS).

Also when I was trying to figure this out, in the Form Properties -> Default -> Server -> PDF Render Format drop down, I could choose  Dynamic XML form, but after clicking OK and returning, it would be set back to Static. I don't recall how I got around this to make a dynamic form, but all I can figure is that the above compatibility issues arose from that.

Any insights into this would be greatly appreciated.

Graham

Level 7

Hi Graham,

My company used FormFlow for several years before we started using Designer. This was one of the problems we faced when importing FormFlow forms into Designer to convert them to pdf's. The run version always sets itself to 6.0.2 and the render format sets itself to 7.0.5. Once you change these options and save the form, they shouldn't change for that form, but the next form you work with will still need to have the run version and render format changed, particularly if you're importing from another program or bringing in a form created in Designer 6 or 7.

Level 4

dj,

Yes, I brought this form in from Illustrator. That's probably what did it.

Thanks for replying!

Graham