Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Task Columns in Workspace

Level 3

Hi all,

I'm interested in modifying workspace to add a new column pertaining to my task. The goal is to be able to list tasks and sort by this new data (shown as a new column). Now I understand I need to rebuild workspace, which I am doing. I can get as far as adding the new column but I am not finding how to set this new property inside the task class. Also I can't seem to get the label to show up right, it keeps showing my variable name.

It is very possible what I am trying to accomplish is impossible. The ultimate goal would be to be able to display the value of one of the variables inside from inside the process. BTW, I may be going off in the wrong direction completely.

Any help on how to achieve this will be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Nic

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Hi Nic

Just to clarify your use case....

Are you trying to have this column show up in To Do or Tracking?

Is it a simple variable type such as a string, or numeric?

If so, you can have simple process variables show up in both To Do and Tracking without customizing Workspace.

You would create your variable in Workbench in your process and mark it "Visible in UI".

If you want your variable to have a more meaningful name, give it a Title.

You would set the value in your process using a Set Value service and it is populated at run-time.

In Workspace, navigate to Preferences->Manage Column Headings.

To see variables in your To Do page, under the Select View to Manage area, choose the "Tasks by Process" radio button.

(To see variables in Tracking you would select the "Tasks" radio button.)

Under View Options, choose your process in the dropdown.

The variables will appear in the Select Headings box.

You select them and Save.

Now when you go to To Do, select the queue name and in that dropdown pick your process name.

The variables will now appear as columns.

Diana

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Hi Nic

Just to clarify your use case....

Are you trying to have this column show up in To Do or Tracking?

Is it a simple variable type such as a string, or numeric?

If so, you can have simple process variables show up in both To Do and Tracking without customizing Workspace.

You would create your variable in Workbench in your process and mark it "Visible in UI".

If you want your variable to have a more meaningful name, give it a Title.

You would set the value in your process using a Set Value service and it is populated at run-time.

In Workspace, navigate to Preferences->Manage Column Headings.

To see variables in your To Do page, under the Select View to Manage area, choose the "Tasks by Process" radio button.

(To see variables in Tracking you would select the "Tasks" radio button.)

Under View Options, choose your process in the dropdown.

The variables will appear in the Select Headings box.

You select them and Save.

Now when you go to To Do, select the queue name and in that dropdown pick your process name.

The variables will now appear as columns.

Diana

Level 3

Hi Diana,

This is great, this is so much simpler than recompiling workspace. I managed to get my variable to show up but I'm still having issues with the title, it's just not using it.

Also, what does the "Searchable" check box does?

Thanks

Nic

Former Community Member

Hi Nic

So you have a provided a Title and it's not using that? It's using the variable name as the column header?

Are there any special characters in the Title?

If you mark a variable as "Searchable", it will be available to be used by Workspace users in Search Templates.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/livecycle/9.0/adminHelp/admin.htm?content=000373.html

Diana

Level 3

Exactly, it's using the variable name rather than the title. No special characters. I tried different names just to see if I could get anything to show up other than the variable name. I get "tn" rather than "Tracking Number". This is a string variable by the way.

When I got the variable name to show up at least in the columns, I always get no value in the data rows. Even if my recording of the process shows data for that variable. I'm very confused now. I must be missing something else.

Nic

Level 3

Diana, is there anything I should be doing differently? Could this possibly be a bug in ES?

Thanks

Nic

Former Community Member

Hi Nic

Can you confirm what version of LiveCycle you are using.

Diana

Level 3

This is what we have:

Version: 8.2.1, GM
Patch Version: 3.19
Service Pack Version: 8.2.3260.1.221382.1

Nic

Former Community Member

Hi Nic

I can reproduce the issue where the Title is not being used as the column header...so that is a bug.

Your workaround would be to make the variable name meaningful so it displays a usable string.

As to your values not appearing in the column...I don't see that.

I am setting my string value via the Set Value service in the process.

How are you setting your variable?

Diana

Level 3

Super (well not really, but we're getting somewhere), yes my variable is set. I can play back my recording and see that they are set when it gets to the assign task step.

I just tried all of this in ES2.5 all of this works perfectly. There's a chance we might upgrade to that, so I'll consider this issue resolved (for me) for now. If we ever decide not to upgrade, I'll go back to this thread.

Thank you!

Nic

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----