Expand my Community achievements bar.

Tables and radio buttons: what am I missing?

Level 1

I have table as part of a questionnaire. Each row is a quetion and the user should be able to choose a single answer on each row. The column headings provide the ansewr choice. To take a simple example, questions are "do you like ice cream?" "Do you like brussel sprouts?" and the answer columns are marked A lot, A bit Not much and Not at all.

The help says to put your buttons down, then select them and choose "wrap in a a new radio button group". If you have the buttons in separate cells of the table this doesn't seem to work at all -- they don't become part of a group. Seems like they all have to be on the same subform. So then I used Merge Cells on the table to merge the cells in a row. Then put the buttons in. Then chose the "Wrap" thing. The buttons all pile on top of one another and also lose their Value settings.

Is there a way to do this with this (adjective bitten back) software, or should I just forget about using a table?

Thanks,

Jon

4 Replies

Level 1

Not quite.

I want the answers (Yes, A little, No) in the header of the table. I am making a more headway having merged the cells first (I guess you didn't need to do that since you only had the one column, Answer, in the first place). I think the main problem was that you cannot have radio button groups that span subforms, and each cell of a table is a subform. How us newbs are supposed to know that is a another question....

Former Community Member

Correct. Exclusion groups cannot span subforms.

Each cell of a table does not have to be a subform. On the other hand, exclusion groups must be wrapped in a subform if the exclusion group target location is a table cell.

Level 1

Jon,

You are on the right track.  You can do what you are asking by merging the table cells, and then putting the radio buttons in side them.

I've modified the form Steve had built for you to demonstrate it.

You will need to manually draw in the vertical lines to make those merged cells look like independent cells.

Angie