Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Submit pdf form fields data as customized template

Level 3

Hi

Is it possible to submit pdf form fields as a customized template?

when the form is submited, I want it to be emailed to me as text form and the form field data would be autopopulated into the text template.

Im not sure but is this how fdf works?

if so, how do i get my form to be submitted as fdf?

please help.

thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Oh so what if we had a special hot spot on the form ...the admins would open the form. click on the hotspot ...we could ask for a password and then show the hidden field.

Acceptable?

Paul

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Former Community Member

What do you mean as a text template. Do you mean that you do not want the form to be fillable when you recieve it (so no one can make changes to it)?

fdf is a data format and is only possible with AcroForms (Forms designed using the Acrobat tools). If you used LiveCycle Designer to build your form then no you  cannot use FDF.

Paul

Level 3

Thanks Paul.

Actually, I just need the result to be output as text that I can copy and paste to an online Electronic Medical Report

What is the output of FDF? would this accomplish what I'm talking about? How can I do this?

thanks.

Former Community Member

FDF is a data format and would not include the layout of the form, just the data. Is it just the data that you are after?

Paul

Level 3

yes I need the data.

even if the layout is not included, would the form field questions be included? so I can know which data is affixed to which form field?

thanks.

Former Community Member

You can get the data in an XML format ......the fieldname will surround the actual data value something like this:

<FirstName>Paul</FirstName>

<LastName>Guerette</LastName>

<PhoneNumber>555-5555</PhoneNumber>

etc .....

Will that be acceptable?

Paul

Level 3

Hi Paul,

XML format is usually complicated for me because there are a lot of syntax in it.

How would the FDF result look?

Former Community Member

If you are using a form that was built with Designer FDF is not an option. What if we had one field at the bottom of the form and we created a format using script) that you could use .....then you coudl simply cut and paste from that one field or if you submitted that data there would be only one part of the xml which you had to deal with. If we go the data submission route then we woudl set the field to invisible so that the user woudl not be affected by it.

Paul

Level 3

Paul,

I'm sort of confused now.

could you please send a simple pdf example so I can understand how it works?

Former Community Member

Here you go .....the 3 fields at the top are where you enter data. The allfields field is the field that creates your special format and teh submitted data field is what you woudl recieve in the email. Note that i changed th ebinding for the first three fields so that they are not included as separate items in the data file. This shoudl simplify what you recieve. I cam change the format of what is written to the allfields if you need a different distinction. In this example I hardcoded everything ....depending how many fields there are on yours i woudl use a different approach (using some complicated code) but the concept woudl be the same. I woudl find all of the fields on your form and loop through all of these objects in a for loop construct this will reduce th eamount of code dramatically and also allow you to modify the form to add or remove fields as you see fit without having to change the code.

Make sense?

Paul

Level 3

Thanks Paul,

the allfields idea is great but how can I make it invisible to the client filling the form and visible to the receiver of the submitted form?

By the way, did you use livecycle or Acrobat Pro?

Former Community Member

I used LiveCycle Designer .....the field woudl be invisible for all users. The reciever would get an XML file like th eone that is displayed in the submitted data field. Thats what they woudl use for their cut and paste

Do you think that is too much for them. Would you rather use the field on th eform?

Paul

Level 3

Yes Paul,

XML format would be confusing for them especially as they are admin assistants that are not really IT savvy.

Actually, the goal is to submit the form as the 'allfields' format. So that if the 'allfields' is not visible to the form filler and visible to the assitant, then it is easier to submit as pdf and then the assistant just cuts and pastes what he/she sees in the 'allfields' field.

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Oh so what if we had a special hot spot on the form ...the admins would open the form. click on the hotspot ...we could ask for a password and then show the hidden field.

Acceptable?

Paul

Level 3

Excellent Paul!!!

Could you please show me a sample?

Former Community Member

I suggest that you send me your form and I will work from that. That way you won't have to move code around. You can send it to

Livecycle8@gmail.com ...please include a link back to this discussion as well as what you want to see in the field.

Paul

Level 3

I haven't started creating the form yet, but I have the template for how the results should show to the admin assistant.

Former Community Member

So send me the template and I will add a few fields to show you how ....then you can modify the

fields to build what you want.

Paul

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----