Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Stamps don't work when clicked on - LiveCycle's fault?

Level 2

I am trying to set up my staff with signature stamps in their Reader... I've extended the features on the files they need to use, and sucessfully loaded and saved a new signature to acrobat. However, when I click on the signature to use it, nothing happens. I've tried clicking from the tools drop down, the comments pallet, the stamps pop up...

I think it has something to do with the fact that the forms I am using are made in LiveCycle Designer ES. It works fine in non livecycle pdfs. Is there anyway I can get around this? These are the forms I need to put stamps on, theres no changing the fact that they're livecycle.

Maybe if I have them save the form by printing to adobe acrobat? And THEN signing it? But you know how it is, more steps, more confusion, the more my team is fustrated.

Let me know if you have a solution for this or an alternate way of signing a PDF from reader.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Are those LiveCycle forms dynamic? Comments and dynamic forms are a nono.

I have heard of using stamps but that is not a dig sig in my opinion ...but I guess I am a pureist. If it fits your need then go for it.

Paul

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Former Community Member

I am confused ...are you using Stamps as a means of signing the document?

If so Stamps are part of commenting and as such commenting is not enabled by default in Reader. You woudl have to Reader extend the PDF to allow comenting. This is not part of the standard extensions that are added through Acrobat but are part of the LiveCycle Server based Reader Extensions product.

Stamps are not signatures ....maybe if yo describe what you are trying to do we can help you come up with a viable solution.

Paul

Level 2

Paul, let me clear up your confusion:

When I said I "extended the features" that means I extended the PDF to allow comenting in reader. I have Acrobat Pro 9, and used the extended feature function on the files, and have tested them on both my reader and other people's readers, and it works great. I couldn't have even made the stamp in the first place if it hadn't of worked on the livecycle files (the options wouldnt have appeared). It's just these specific livecycle forms that won't load the stamp after I've made it, all other documents work great.

Maybe it is possible that since Comments need special treatment to be saved/viewed/printed, that could cause a problem, but that wouldnt explain why it only doesnt work on forms that were made in Livecycle but works on everything else...

And yes I am using stamps to create digital signatures, I'm surprised you've never heard of it, it is actualy a very popular use of stamps as the actual digital signature function isn't so good. If you want to learn more about them, you can read more about it if you google it: http://bit.ly/bFLamS

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Are those LiveCycle forms dynamic? Comments and dynamic forms are a nono.

I have heard of using stamps but that is not a dig sig in my opinion ...but I guess I am a pureist. If it fits your need then go for it.

Paul

Level 2

Yikes, they are dynamic, that's it... it wouldnt know how to move a stamp down... ah well, I'll have to figure out something different then, thank you.

Level 10

Why not use a proper signature field?

Level 1

LARadtke,  Did you find another solution to your delima?  We are just now looking at using the stamp technology in LiveCycle.   Thanks, Frank

Level 4

The problem that we have found with digital signatures applied to a signature  field is that there is no way to stop someone from making a digital signature in their name, their bosses name, their dogs name, etc and there is no way to tell that all those signatures have come from the same person on one computer.

Digital stamps and comments for that matter, show the sign-in identity that the user types in to sign onto their computer. So in our case, our state id is visible in the comments pane and there is no way to make a digital stamp that doesn't bear this ID. We find them more secure than digital signatures.

Level 1

Jeanette,

The purpose of our project is to add a visible signature to the form. This form will be (partially?) filled out and emailed as a static pdf, to be printed, completed, signed by the customer and returned to us. At this time we do not have requirements for a secure digital signature on the form.

We are asking for technical assistance on providing this functionality on the dynamic xdp form in LiveCycle. Can you give us some direction on accomplishing this?

Regards,

Frank

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, all of the solutions to your problems look like nails."

- unknown

Frank Fuss, MISM

Armed Forces Bank Data Center

1100 Walnut

Kansas City, MO 64105

Wk. (816) 412-3519

cell (816) 206-1499

Fax (816) 472-5410

>>>

To:Frank Fuss <ffuss@dfckc.com>

Date: Thursday, May 12, 2011 11:48 AM

Subject: Stamps don't work when clicked on - LiveCycle's fault?

The problem that we have found with digital signatures applied to a signature field is that there is no way to stop someone from making a digital signature in their name, their bosses name, their dogs name, etc and there is no way to tell that all those signatures have come from the same person on one computer.

Digital stamps and comments for that matter, show the sign-in identity that the user types in to sign onto their computer. So in our case, our state id is visible in the comments pane and there is no way to make a digital stamp that doesn't bear this ID. We find them more secure than digital signatures.

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----