Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

SER files using too much space

Level 7

Our production server had almost used 90 GB in the past one year. After digging further, I realized that the audit folder in the document storage is using up all the space.

Is there a way to purge the files and not lose any data ? Where are the pdfs used in the workflow like attachment, etc. stored in the file system or the Adobe database ?

Aditya

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Workbench.

At the same time you could disable all the process you don't want to monitor.

Jasmin

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Level 7

The /audit folder in the GDS contains 'Record and Playback' data.  You can purge it without consequences.

It looks like someone turned on 'Record and Playback' on one or more of your orchestrations and then forgot to turn it off.  Ideally you should look at the settings for each and every one of your orchestrations and make sure 'Record and Playback' is turned off.  Otherwise, you'll hit this problem again.

Level 7

Jayan

Thank you for replying...

Actually I have left it on. Does this mean it will create a "Record and Playback" for every workflow. The folders in audit\workflow are numbered by process ids and the ser files are in the id folders.

Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. Is there any documentation on this ?

Thanks

Aditya

Level 7

Usually, there will be three subfolders in your GDS:

/audit

/backup

/docm......

Don't touch the /docm.... folder(s).

'Record and Playback' can be turned on/off at the orchestration (process) level.  If you turn it on for a particular process, it will save data in the /audit folder for every invocation of the process.  We've had people blow their entire hard disks because they ran a load test on a process while 'Record and Playback' was turned on.

To be safe, delete the process recordings using Workbench.

Level 7

What will be the best way to delete them ? from Workbench or file system ?

Aditya

Correct answer by
Level 10

Workbench.

At the same time you could disable all the process you don't want to monitor.

Jasmin

Level 7

Thank you all for your help. It has saved me a lot of work

Level 1

Hello,

In my ES2 server, I am trying to record a run for one of my processes, and although that I have like 2.5 GB of space on my drive it seems that I can't record a complete cycle of my process, at some point recording stops and the following error is showing in my server log:

2010-07-04 10:20:12,250 ERROR [STDERR] Jul 4, 2010 10:20:12 AM com.adobe.idp.auditworkflow.dsc.service.storage.ProcessRecordingStorageImpl persist WARNING: stop recording entries due to space limitation.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening ?

Greetings,

Yasesr

Level 7

Please see the second post (from the top) of this e-mail thread.

Level 1

Hello,
Thank you for your reply,

I have already cleaned the GD folders (using workbench) and as I said I have enough space on my hard drive, so why I am getting this error?

I am assuming that the only limitation to recording should be the space? Is it like this or is also affected by the available memory?

I am noticing that workbench is consuming memory and at some points (during and not during recording) it give messages about that shortage of memory, I have tried adjusting Xms, Xmx in workbench.ini to fix that.. Does this have any relation to the recording problem?

Now I am trying to move some parts of the process map into sub-processes so the number of steps decrease hopefully I will be able to record the run of these sub-process individually, this can help to some extent but I am sure this error will show again since my process contains couple of loops and recording stops after a few steps over 20 or 15 which kind of low compared to the number of steps I want to record.

Greetings,

Yasser