Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

reference current node, not parent in function

Level 4

Hi,

When calling a function that hides/shows subforms, I can only seem to progress up in the heirarchy to parent(s).

Here's how I call the function

SegmentScripts.Indie(this.parent);

The problem is that if I place the "call" on a subform I'm trying to hide, it will hide sibling subforms unecessarily.  If I place the call on an object within the subform, it erratically flows up several subform layers instead of its direct parent. 

Is there a way to place the call on the subform I want to hide itself, without having the function flow up to its parent?

For reference, here's the function itself (on a script object called SegmentScrips).

function Indie(myParentObject) {

// Declare some variables

var allChildElements;

var intNumElements;

var currentElement;

var i;

// Get all the child nodes of the parent element

allChildElements = myParentObject.nodes;

// Total number of elements in the object

intNumElements = allChildElements.length;

// Loop through all the child elements

for (i=0; i<intNumElements; i++) {

currentElement = allChildElements.item(i);

if(currentElement.className === "subform") {     

if (xfa.resolveNode("form1.Page1.Page1.#subform.institutiontype").rawValue == 8) {

currentElement.presence = "visible";

}

else {currentElement.presence = "hidden";

}

}

}

} // End of the function

4 Replies

Level 10

Usually "this" word refers to the current object where the code is getting executed. If you are calling this function from the Subform, then you need to pass "this" to the function as argument.

If you want to consider one level up, then you need to pass this.parent and so on..

Let me know if this helps or you need more help..

Thanks

Srini

Level 4

Well, my first inclination was to try:

SegmentScripts.Indie(this);

on the subform that I want to disappear.  This seems to only hide subforms UNDER it in the heirarchy and not it itself.  So it works as long as I have subforms under it but if it's the lowest subform child in the heirarchy then it doesn't work.

Level 4

Ok I have a feeling the problem lies in my loop itself (as I said I adapted it from another use).

Is it due to how I'm defining the variable currentElement? I think it's referencing myParentObject.nodes

currentElement = allChildElements.item(i);

allChildElements = myParentObject.nodes;

Level 4

I found out what was causing the problem was my own misunderstanding of the loop variables.  currentElement is designed to be the child of wherever the function is called from. 

So I changed the if/then statement in the function to affect currentElement's parent:

if(currentElement.className === "subform") {    

if (xfa.resolveNode("form1.Page1.Page1.#subform.institutiontype").rawVal ue == 8) {

currentElement.parent.presence = "visible";

}

else {currentElement.parent.presence = "hidden";

}

}