Expand my Community achievements bar.

Reader 9.3.1 not working with FormCalc in LiveCycle 8 forms

Level 1

My agency has recently upgraded to Adobe Reader 9.3.1. I have a fillable form I created using Livecycle Designer 8 in Acrobat Professional 8 and distributed to agency staff using the "distribute" function in Acrobat Professional 8. The form includes formcalc scripts that use the DocReady and other events to create a unique identifier comprised of data from the form, and to calculate totals. The formcalc scripts work as long as the form is opened in Acrobat Professional 8 or Adobe Reader versions prior to 9.3.1, but don't seem to fire at all with Reader 9.3.1.

I've been told by my agency IT staff that I need to upgrade, but before I go to that expense, I'd like to know whether this is necessary or guaranteed to fix the problem. I've also seen other posts that suggest that that Acrobat 9 handles exporting the data differently (no longer exporting to a .csv file) and that also concerns me, as I've set up automated processes using the .csv output. Upgrading may introduce new problems, for all I know.

It seems unlikely that Adobe would intentionally make Reader 9.3.1 not backwards-compatible with forms created using older versions of LiveCycle, as that would cause hugh headaches for their customers, so I'm wondering if this is a bug that will be soon fixed?

Thanks, Alice

2 Replies

Level 10

Hi Alice,

I really don't think the problem is using LC Designer 8. We have several forms that were developed in LC Designer 8 (with FormCalc and Javascript), that still function in Acrobat/Reader 9.3.1.

There are two potential issues. The first is the most likely.

In the new installation of Reader 9.3.1, JavaScript is turned off. See this blog and sample: http://blogs.adobe.com/livecycle/2009/02/adobe_reader_disabled_javascri.html

If you send the sample to the agency, a warning will appear if they open it and Javascript is turned off. When they turn javascript back on in the preferences, then your form should work again.

The second issue can be a little more trouble. Adobe have introduced a new Javascript Blacklist Framework in Acrobat/Reader 9.3.1, which can disable FormCalc and JavaScript if it contravenes the framework. See these links:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/504/cpsid_50431.html

Managing JavaScript Execution in the Acrobat Family of Products

As I say, unless your FormCalc is trying to access external resources, I suspect that Javascript is turned off in Reader. I don't think you have to upgrade Acrobat/LC Designer.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 1

Hi Niall,

Thanks for the helpful answer. In the past, formcalc seemed to work even when JavaScript was turned off, so I thought it wasn't affected by that setting and hadn't considered the possibility that things had changed. Also, in the past, users always got the warning notification and the option to turn JavaScripts on for the document when they had JavaScript disabled, but that notification doesn't seem to be appearing any more. Perhaps our agency IT staff found a way to turn it off. I'm not why or how...

At any rate, when I enabled JavaScript in the Reader application and opened the form, the scripts worked fine. Now I just need to work with our IT department to get the application settings fixed to do this for all the form's users.

Thanks!

Alice